1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sterling HS...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jessejms03, Sep 14, 2008.

1. jessejms03

jessejms03

Sep 1, 2008
    Saw a sterling hs and fell in love (clear finish). I currently play a Yamaha Attitude (like a P bass on steroids). I like it but the neck is fat and I can really smoke on the sterlings neck. I play mostly fingerstyle but also pick,slap,and tap a bit. Band is acoustic/prog rock with upfront melodic bass.

I have always wanted a sterling but could never adjust to not having the p pups as a thumb rest when playing the E string, but the hs has the single neck pup for thumb anchoring. I noticed when I played it my fingers were hitting the pole pieces sometimes.

Is this bass mainly for slapping or have others found comfortable positions without the "floating thumb"

I guess im trying to convince myself to drop the $ and get another "main" bass.

2. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    They are not mainly for slapping.You can play any style music with any bass out there. Some just do it a little better than others. I rest my thumb on the pickup on all my MM basses.If you're hitting the pickup pole pieces on the HS you're either going to have to lower the front pickup,or lighten up your picking technique.

3. jessejms03

jessejms03

Sep 1, 2008
    Everything I read is awesome regarding the sterlings. Not a whole lot on the hs though.

4. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    I like single H's better but aparently the Sterling HS is the favorite of Sterling Ball himself.

5. clmjlg

clmjlg

Feb 8, 2008
    My main bass is a Sterling HS, the sound is great for anything. I use it for rock and worship music but the sound is by no mean one dimensional. So it would easily make a great main bass if you want it to be one.

6. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    what wrong with the mm pup could take a little getting used to but still?

7. jessejms03

jessejms03

Sep 1, 2008
    the mm pup is closer to the bridge than the split p's so it isnt "natural" for me. The single neck pup feels more normal.

8. cbass717

cbass717

Jun 30, 2008
    man up and get a stingray. there better (personally)

9. phatduckk

phatduckk

May 24, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    i have tons of Sterlings and the HS is my favorite. It's NOT just a slap bass. I use it for everything & love it!

And yes, Sterling himself favors the HS as well.

10. Strongjag

Strongjag

Aug 14, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Beards.
    And how do you figure that a Stingray is "manning up", really? I played both at BassCentral last year and ended up with Sterling, based on the neck and the fact that you could dial on more tones. The Stingray was awesome, but I dont see how its "better". Just different.

Sterling HS or an SR5 is my next big purchase. Soooooo nice.

11. jessejms03

jessejms03

Sep 1, 2008
    it wouls be a nice tandem the attitude and a sterling hs. They are worlds apart...

12. Kompressaur

Kompressaur

Aug 21, 2006
    I love the sterling bass. awesome neck.