Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sterling- love/hate relationship

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sargebaker, Sep 10, 2004.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Well as you may all know I've had Sterling GAS for the longest time, but had never realy played one for real. Well tonight that changed. One thing i noticed was the bass is TINY!!!! but it felt SO good. I LOVED the size of the neck, I found it super comfortable, but at the same time I felt I could snap it like a twig... It also seemed a little dry. The knobs didn't turn well, which could easily be fixed and the strings buzzzed a little cause I think that bass had been there for quite some time. SO all in all it neeeded a setup, possibly loosen the knobs or what not and oil the neck, but there was something about that bass that felt so good. Unfortunately I barely got to hear it. Someone was wanking hardcore on a geet*r SO loud, like you have no idea It was insane just SO obnoxiously loud (and plus the place was full) the guy could actually shred well but I was still pissed especially seeing as: They had no 6 string tapewound set (they will check and call me monday) no 4 string bridges, and no 4 string tuners except some cheap brand and NO BONGO!!!! I really felt like trying one just to see what all the hype was about.

Well that was my long pointlessish story, in retrospect I think I should have turned the amp up to the max and attempted to counter-shred the geeetarist, or at least make a shyte load of noise to say "hey! you aren't the only guy in the store, grow up!"

Baker

2. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I have three Sterlings. I'm not a huge guy. For me, it's the most ergonomically-correct bass I've ever played. The fact that they sound great and fit in at any gig is the icing on the cake.

3. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    Let me know if u ever sell one, is any of them fretless? I have to take my old Aria into a luthiers sometime in the next week or 2 and I,ll get him to shave down the neck to the profile of a Sterling neck for me :)

4. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I'm not planning on selling any of them..ever. The search is over. One of them is a fretless with piezo. For the fretless, the extra $$ is way worth it. Unbelieveably cool tones.

Oh, and of my two Sterlings, there are two different profiles. One is much more shallow than the other. The fatter one is an 01, the thinner a 97. Not sure what was up with that--maybe they changed things up somewhere along the way.

Anyway, great bass. Can't possibly go wrong with one.

5. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    do you have all the neck dimmensions of your sterlings by any chance? or is it possible for you to get em?

6. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Not really. But I'd just say one is a little bit of a fatter "C" shape than the other. Both are comfortable.

7. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    ahh coool thanks anyhoo, I'll take the luthier the specs from the EB site.

8. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Both of mine areeee the same way. My '99's neck is too die for. It fits my hands like it was made or it. My other, which maybe a 00 or 01 has the more rubust neck, but has more aggressive electronics (it just sounds hotter than the other one). I strung the more robust one BEAD and it is a killer.

9. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio

I wouldn't consider your experience to be a true one. You need to be able to sit down and REALLY get to know one. As far as anything Music Man - You can't go wrong. Seriously.

10. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    I plan on going back and playing it for real(er) get to tweak the electronics and not have a bunch of ppl staring or guitarist wanking EXTREMELy loud. too bad I,m poor eh? :hyper: Oh well.