Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sterling neck problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ammar, Aug 22, 2005.

1. ammar

ammar

Aug 20, 2005
    Austria
    Hi there!
    I own a 1994 Sterling and am expiriencing some hardcore neck warping/twisting. I still haven't solved the problem but if you're getting one of those older Sterlings please double check the neck. I don't think the problem is uncommon, there was another person with the same model, same problem, same production year, same forum :) ( http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55109 )

Ammar

2. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Hmm, I don't know how many Sterlings have been sold worldwide, nor do I know what happened to that other guy's neck (was it like that before he started defretting it, etc? Not clear), but I would say, anecdotally, that it in fact IS uncommon. Until today, I'd heard of zero problems with Sterling necks twisting, and I've been around EBMM basses for a long time. As of today, I now hear about one, possibly two.

That seems uncommon to me.

But your bass is not right and that's not good, don't get me wrong. Are you the original owner of the bass?

3. ammar

ammar

Aug 20, 2005
    Austria
    Ok, I might went too far with this "common" thing, I didn`t want to imply the basses were bad (after all, I own one :) ) - I just wanted to tell the potential buyer to double check the neck when buying. I find especially the guitars dating from first production years might be more likely to have some constructional issues.

I did contact the so_much_praised EB customer service, they didn´t really help me much. they just told me the warranty expired and I should get the replacement neck from my local dealer (>$600). I can´t blame, they are no charity.

4. ammar

ammar

Aug 20, 2005
    Austria
    no, i bought in 1996 I think, and it didn´t have the neck issue then.
    the bass is in mint condition apart from the neck. Well treated.
    I´m considering a modulus replacement ($370), or maybe I finally get a replacement neck at the reduced price. any tips on how to achieve that are welcome :)
    Ammar

5. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Sucks that your neck is twisting up ammar. I appreciate you lookin out but I'm not worried. EB has the most kick ass costumer service so if the neck is warped and its their fault, i know they'd take care of it. I'm probably gonna order it in a month or 2 from bass central. That'll give me enough time to choose if I want a White, black pg, maple neck, or white Sparkle, clear pg, maple neck.

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    This is really off on a tangent from the original thread, so I'm splitting it off and moving it to Setup and Repair.