Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sterling neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tmu, Feb 22, 2005.

1. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    Has anyone had a problem with their sterling's neck warping or being unstable? I just bought one, and the neck is amazing! Do they use graphite to stabilize it? it is so thin!

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    It isnt as thin as you may think, it is very stable. Mine is perfect. Got any pics of your new sterling? How do you like it? If no pics, whats the color scheme? What fingerboard?

3. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    It is honeyburst with maple and matching headstock, with white pearloid pg. It looks amazing.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Great color combo, honeyburst is beautiful. White pearloid compliments that color well, as does black. Congrats.

5. Hmmm... I just got my first Sterling, beautiful bass. Dark sunburst with black pearloid pickguard... maple neck.

The problem is, I have had it for a week and have had to make trussrod adjustments 3 times to make it playable. I realize it is raining here, but dang... I have never had to tweak my Roscoe's trussrod. The neck just seems especially squirrely to me - one of the best sounding basses I have owned, though.

Is this par for the course? :eyebrow:

Peace...

Tom

6. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    No, it isn't as far as I know. I'd take it back and get someone to look at it, you may be compounding the problem by doing all these adjustments

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That seems odd. 99% of Sterling owners ive talked with have not had problems.

8. Well, I will take it to my repair guy to see what he says... but the adjustments are just a quarter turn to give some relief. Three times I took it out of the case to play and the G string was touching the 1st fret, and the others were buzzing something horrible. A small tweak on the wheel (which, BTW is the greatest invention in the universe) and I am good to go... maybe it is just getting acclimated to Southern California. :hyper:

Anyway, like I said, it is one of the finest sounding basses I have owned, and when tweaked properly the nicest playing.

Peace...

Tom

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Your neck is bending THAT way? That doesnt sound like a wood problem, because weak wood means more relief.. because it gets pulled by the strings. Sounds like your truss rod is just too tight.

10. Alright, now you got me all nervous... :scowl:

When I get out of here I will play with it some.

Peace...

Tom

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Its better to ahve the trussrod too tight than have an unstable neck.