Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sterling or Bongo for new player?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tuco, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Tuco

Tuco

Feb 14, 2006
    I have an opportunity to buy a pristine '96 Sterling at a good price. OR . . . I can hold off and get into a new 5-string Bongo or possibly a 5-string StingRay (although both look a little strange to me)

If I go with the Sterling, I can pick up a decent used amp with the spare cash. On the other hand, I've heard the Sterling is a little weak on the low end, which concerns me.

As a new player interested in Reggae, World Fusion, and Afro-Cuban, should I go with the Sterling as my first bass -- something to learn on -- or hold out for one of the 5-strings with their bigger tonal range?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I tihnk a Sterling would be great. It seems like it is what your heart is telling you to get.

3. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

I would have no problem recommending the Sterling as your first bass -- especially if you can get a good deal on it. It's a great instrument.

4. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Yup. Go for the Sterling and the amp rather than waiting for a Bongo with no amp.

5. I agree - especially for a new player, the Sterling may be easier to learn on.

6. Tuco

Tuco

Feb 14, 2006
    Thanks everyone, sounds like the Sterling is the way to go for now. It looks just like the avatar image on Figjam's post.

7. It's hard to slap on Bongo, so if You want to slap as well, beter buy Sterling.

8. UtBDan

UtBDan Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Connecticut
    a new player gets the choice of a Sterling or a Bongo.

wow.

you best appreciate the bass you play, even if you never had the crap one before it that most everyone else did. lol

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I know which one you are buying :ninja:

10. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Yo Tambien.......

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You're buying it from a good guy. The bass is in incredible condition as well.

12. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I don't think so. It didn't take so long for me to get used to slap this monster. On the other hand, I must say that my Bongo is the first bass with a pickguard I own in 14 years and I hadn't had the chance to realize how helpful is the PG for slapping.

13. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    New player starting on eihther of those? When I started last year I scrounged around on ebay for an Ibanez...

I'd almost say Bongo, mostly from a versitility and a toilet seat standpoint...I mean, go bongo!

14. apollo11

apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    I can tell you from experience that the Sterling in NO WAY lacks in the low end department. It has the mightiest boom of any bass I've heard. Even the G on the E string is incredibly low. Amazing low end, more low-end boom than my Rics, Jazz or P. I'm not saying it is better than these basses, because all are well made and have great sound, but I feel I need to clarify the fact that the Sterling has a huge amount of low end.

It is a phenomenal bass all around. I cannot compare to a Bongo because I haven't played one of those, but from all reports they, too, are fantastic basses. You won't go wrong with either one. Because they are both Music Man basses, you'll get the boom no matter which one you go for.