Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sterling or Bongo?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by malisent, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Ok fellas, new question for ya. For a rock/funk/jazz type of play, which do you guys think is the better bass for it. EBMM Sterling or the MM Bongo?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    They are different animals. I tthink it comes down to whether or not you like the classic design or the new thing.

3. i havent been able to play a bongo so, what are the differences in sound between it and the sterling?

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Bongo is veryy versatile and if you go for the 2 humbucker model it probably has a significantly more full sound.

5. what about the high end? cause i have noticed that the sterling has a weak low end and a good high end... how does the bongo compare to it?

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ouch,, owned to Sterling. I dont feel its a weak low end. It definitely has strength in the mids, but the low end is very capable.

7. Hey Watson,

a third choice wasn't such as a bad idea, wasn't it?

It's elementary: A Bongo should always be considered in any comparitive analysis of Music Men.

and the Bongo is the most versatile, IMO.

However, most of us, as a practical matter, really like to find a sound we love and stick with it.

But for Rock/Funk/Jazz get the Bongo.

I don't think I would want to play jazz with a Sterling or Ray.

8. why dont you think that the sterling or ray is good for jazz?

9. and to comment for figjam, its not that i have noticed... (wrong word choice) i meant/ should have said that i have heard that the sterling has a weak low end...

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The bongo might be better for jazz and stuff just because of the versatility and the fact that you can get a more mellow tone out of it.

11. well currently i own a washburn 5 string and am looking to go to a 4 string with a little more bite and coldness to the tone. I like the modulus but number one, i cant afford it, and number two it doesnt have much low end at all. how does the bongo stack up to that? what would you say it has, a more cold tone or a more warm tone or both?

12. Jazz is so broad. I mean, if I was playing straight fusion of something, then the Ray or Sterlings' aggressive, cutting tone might fit. But if I was playing in a cocktail lounge, the Ray would sound horrible on a ballad, swing, bossa or basically everything that is swank and sexy about jazz. I could probalby get the Sterling somewhere close, but not exactly where I need it.

I often seek out bass-less acts and just offer to sit in because I always pickup something new playing with people I never have played with. The jazz bass is a no brainer. But I would think the Bongo's warm tone and good looks would get me up on stage and keep me there with no problem. (I have a new Ashbory in my car and I am dying to sit in with a piano bar act or something with it! Just waiting for the strings to stabilize).

Remember, it is a lot easier to make a warm bass sound aggressive than an aggressive bass sound warm.