Sterling or Marcus Miller JB Fender ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mikesarado, Dec 7, 2003.

1. mikesarado

Aug 28, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    hello with all. I am new on this forum, I am French, I need councils. I am hesitating between these low guitars: Music Man Sterling and Fender JB Marcus Miller. I play practically all in Slap, the 2 sounds attract me enormously, I play mainly of the funk and the jazz. I really hesitate since step badly of time. What think about it? thank you
  2. De ce que les gens disent ici, les Music Man sont un bon choix pour une basse à 5 cordes. Mais, si tu aimes le son de Marcus Miller, j'imagine que sa basse donnerait une bonne reproduction du son. Mais je croix que beaucoup de gens mettent le préamp "J-retro" à l'interieur pour lui donner un meilleur son. Je dirais que la decision est la tienne et que tu devrait essayer les deux et choisir ton favoris. Bonne chance.
  3. There's quite a price difference, with the sterling being about 1100 and the Marcus around the 7-800 mark. (Guesstimating on the prices, plus Im sure you can add a bit on due to you being oversea's and all). They are both very nice playing active instruments, can't go wrong with either. The Marcus Miller has your two J pickups, better versitility, while the sterling has the single MM pickup in the sweetspot.

You can try doing a search for the basses, as they are popular and certainly have been discussed before. Welcome to talkbass and enjoy!
  4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    ive owned both id go for the sterling....more versitile in my opinion and sounds better...the marcus is really nice..but i would take a sterling over it any day

hope this helped and have a good time with the party

5. Lenko

May 3, 2003
    [Dextervoice]Omlette du fromage.[/Dextervoice]
  6. Agree,
    I'm a Jazz Bass guy but of those basses I think the Sterling would be my pick. I find the Marcus Jazz way too bright and the Sterling's construction is a little more solid. Now a Sterling or a MIA Jazz would be a lot harder decision. I'd go with the Jazz then based on a wider tonal variety and workmanship that might even equal the Sterling! Two good tool either way!
  7. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I've found the opposite to be true. Of the 3 or 4 American Jazz basses I've owned over the past few years (one Am Series and the others American Standard), none had the fit 'n finish and quality of construction of the Japanese Marcus J. All the American Fenders I've owned (and sold) made in the nineties and 00's had flawed construction of some sort likely resulting from poor QC, attention to detail and/or both. The Marcus 4, however, is pretty much flawless, with my only gripe that the preamp is a bit noisy. At this point, based on the Marcus J and the '51 Reissue (which I still own), I've more or less concluded that Fender Japan puts out a better bass where workmanship is concerned over American, non-Custom Shop Fender.
  8. Its hanging on my wall now...

It saying play me play me you've spent lotsa money on me.. play me play

When i pick it up...

Darn i know i shouldnt have...

Yes is slaps well...yes u can get a good slap tone out of it..

Can u finger style with it.. can u boll**** more chance of gettin blood outta a stone then u have playing a good fingerstyle on this thing..ive had a setup for a taughter feel still flops about like nobodies can't even dig in slightly...ppfffff.. wasnt inpressed and the active electonics... do me a favour.. dont use them...its gonna be gone.. and i can get meself a Nice GB Spitfire to go with my other GB Spitfire...
  9. Mr. Pitiful

Mr. Pitiful

Jan 22, 2003
    Fargo ND
    My Stingray wasnt a sterling, but it was awesome, however, It just sat in the case because I now play my Marcus Miller Jazz all of the time. I absolutely love it. There was one sharp fet, other than that it is perfect. Very punchy.

Mr. Pitiful
  10. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Je voudrais les Music Man pour la "Slap" basse son. Je dirais les Music Man Sterling c'est tres bienne. Pardon mois pathetique Francais. :(

Bon jour
  11. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Por que gente esta hablando en una otra idioma? No hablo francais, pero yo se un poco de espanol. Yo creo que el sterling es muy bueno para "slap," pero el bass de Marcus Miller es mejor. Recuerda que dije "Yo creo."
  12. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001 :p
  13. nivagues

Jan 18, 2002