Sterling Or Stingray? Differinces

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PollyBass, Aug 12, 2001.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Hey, i was just wondering, Im saving up for a MusicMan. i played one in the local music store and loved it. It was a StingRay. i know theres 2 kinds, but what are the major diffs? Thanks.

PS: I thought i wouldnt want to get one. but know that ive played one, Im hooked! i thought everyone that said that was a loser. But i have to get one.....NOW!!!
  2. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    hey man. the sterling has a little bit more to offer.. from the 4-string that is.. The stingray 5 is the best ray to get imo
  3. B@$$!$T

Aug 12, 2001
    Sterling - smaller body, 22 frets (as opposed to 21 with Stingray), different pickup and electronics (sterling has 3 band active as opposed to Stingrays 2). As such, the Sterling is a bit more expensive. Both sound nice.
  4. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    'Rays are available with 3 band EQ, as well.
  5. B@$$!$T

Aug 12, 2001
    boogiebass is correct - you can option either models with most upgrades.
  6. madsky

Apr 21, 2001
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Well ... i heard that the StingRay sounds more warmer while the Sterling is more versatile in making sounds ...

Since you are looking for a MusicMan bass to buy ... how about the "Sabre" ... they stopped producing it but it can make more varieties of sounds than both the StingRays and Sterlings ...

there's an ugly one at ... but hey, at least it sounds good :p