Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

STERLING OR STINGRAY

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by teenagebass69, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I will always say "STERLING" at the top of my lungs whenever anyone asks this question. But I think the two most overiding factors are:
    1. The size of your hands - I love my Sterlings because my hands are a mess from carpal tunnel and the Sterling neck is a more like a jazz neck than the Stingray's more p-bassish neck. I know my hands are fatigued quite easily after playing above the 7th fret on my Stingray for any length of time

2. Tone - Stingrays have a classic, much-appreciated, and sought after, tone. Sterlings get close to that tone, but they have a selector switch that allows you more tonal flexibility

This whole dialogue of Sterlings and Stingrays is part of the very fabric of this website. As many have said before, and will no doubt say again, it's all about what you like. This is the world of the subjective at Talkbass!

:cool:

2. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    If you're going to spend that much
    $ consider some other brands too.

Otherwise, I would definately say Sterling or maybe Bongo.

3. sterling is my pick... play both and see what you like

4. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    My vote is for the sterling

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    for the money i'd have a G & L 2000

6. What about in answer to "Sterling or Bongo?"

7. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Sterling has more tonal options and a thin Jazz like neck. It is lighter also.

I like all of these characteristics so the Sterling is for me. Try them both out and decide yourself.

8. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I agree that the Sterling has more tonal options and has a thinner neck and lighter body and so on, and it would be a great bass for anyone who likes the MM sound but wants more of a Jazz bass, ergonomically speaking. I have one, have had a few more, and they are fine instruments.

I have to admit, though, that for reasons I can't fully explain, my fave of the two is still the Stingray.

While the Sterling gets "more" sounds, it doesn't exactly nail the Stingray tone, IMO. Close but no cigar. I mean, the tones it does get are wonderful, and I have used mine happily, but I still prefer the old-school Stingray sound.

I won't play Precisions anymore, but I do have a nice Jazz or two, and while the Sterling has the smaller neck, I don't think the Stingray neck is much like a Precision. It just isn't that fat/chunky. Precisions are uncomfortable for me, while I can play a Stingray all night, no problems at all.

This is just my .02 and you should always keep in mind that you're going to get differing opinions. For example:

1. I like the Sterling. The Sterling rules.
    2. I like the Stingray. The Stingray rules.
    3. Spend your money on X bass, which is better than the Sterling or Stingray. X bass rules. (This is generally from people who don't own either of your two options and, IMHO, should be completely ignored.)

As far as item 3 goes, it's like you've decided you want a Toyota or a Nissan and someone comes in and says "But you could have a Honda!" Of course you could. But you've decided on either a Toyota or a Nissan.

But it seems to me that you've narrowed your choices down to two winners. Don't let anyone else's opinion sway you. Play the basses and make your decision based on your eyes and your ears and your hands.

9. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Sterling or Bongo? I have had only limited experience with the Bongo. My local GC finally got two in, but never have a decent amp to play them through. Plus, the four-stringer keeps vanishing for days at a time, leaving only the five-stringer for analysis. I like the fiver, but still prefer the feel of the Sterling. There is just something about the way their necks fit in my hand. It is really a comfort thing that I don't find in the Stingray or the Bongo.