Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sterling or Stingray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by malisent, Jan 7, 2005.

1. I need help deciding which to get. I have heard really good thing about a Muisicman Stingray but I have also heard really good things about the Musicman Sterling. I need to know what everyone thinks. Which is better? I like the Sterling personaly but i want to know what everyone eles thinks!!

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like the Sterling as well, bought one few weeks ago.

3. I have 2 words to say:

Bon

Go

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Clearly wasnt one of the choices.

Sher

lock.

Yes a bongo is a swell instrument as well, but hes asking for an opinion between the 2.

kthx

5. well i have heard that the Bongo is sweet. I like to play a lot of RHCP. so which do you guys think is the best choice?

6. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    Better can be argued to death.If you like the Sterling, then it is better.I have had both and I still have the Sterling, so I'd have to say that I agree with you.Go with what you like, you have to play it.

7. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    If you like thin necks, get a Sterling. Otherwise pick up a Ray.

Hope this helps,
    JL

8. is that the only real difference between the Ray and the Sterling? the thickness of the neck? or is there some tone differences?

9. yeah man, make sure you play them both. Any store with both will like have the Bongo.

Another TB member said he picked out a bass by playing them blindly w/o knowing which was which. That way, it is all about feel and sound. Of course, this is a no brainer on MM cause they are easily discernable by touch.

I just think Bongos are the shxx. Like the majority of everyone who posts on TB, I just usually suggest what I like.

10. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    There is also a difference in electronics. You have a switch that allows different modes for the pickup (single, parallel, serial). But on the electronic side, the Sterling is sort of an "improved" Ray.

Also, the body of the Sterling is a bit smaller.

Cheers,
    JL

11. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    IMHO there is no better between the two. There is and will be a better for you between the two so play both and decide.

tk

12. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I'm acctually debating the same thing right now, I dont know if I should get a Sterling or a 2-band Stingray ( I already own a 3 bander but I have issues with my G so I'll be trading it in for either or ) Aside from the neck the Sterlings body is also a bit smaller. Tonally the Sterling has a 3-way switch that sets the pickup as either series, parallel, or single coil. Some say that the switch doesnt do that big of a difference unless your doin sumthin fancy like slapping or playin harmonics, others say its a big difference no matter what ur playing. You gotta try them both out before you buy them. Spend a good hour or so playin both basses to get a feel for their playability and sound. Personally either chioce is great but if you do go for a Ray try out the 2-band and the 3-band cause it just so happens that I prefer the 2 over the 3.

13. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    The G on my 3 band Ray a bit weaker than the rest of the strings. A few guys on the ernie ball forums have the same complaint, its not a huge deal ya just have to boost the midrange a lil, but I like to just leave my EQ flat, so its just a tiny annoyance. So Im either gonna trade it in for a 2-Bander or a Sterling.

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Stingrays are known for weak G strings. I have found this to Not be the case with sterlings, just another advantage in my book.

15. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    im trying to find out if the g string problems are only on the 3 banders or if it includes the 2 banders as well, if it does i definatly see a sterling in my future lol

16. doogenbomb

doogenbomb

Oct 25, 2004
    When I listen to records of fender basses, or if I am playing a a Fender, the G is always quieter. Same with every other bass. The E frequency is much lower and is felt more. The G string also is much smaller which in turn gives off less mass than the other strings for the magnetic field to pick up. Technique could also be a factor here......

:bassist:

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have found that a lot of fenders actually have a loud G, could just be me though.

18. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    I play both Fender and SR 5 and find it to be EQ or stringse and not the bass or a fault of the bass. I have had more quet G string Fenders than EB MM basses period.

Choice between any EB Musicman basses is a tough one as they are all goood. Play what you will but understand quality when you are playing it.

That said I haven't played a Bongo but it does seeem to me by my way of thinking the best of the best. That said. Sterlings and or a SR 4 it is up to you and only you. Both are good and if you like what you got in your hands buy it.

Hands down EB beats Fender present day for QC and support. A SUB will be a good bass should you play one and find it works.

Once again play any bass you think you like, choose what you like it will work no matter what name is stamped on the headstock.

I am sure from experience EBMM makes nothing but good basses and if in doubt send it back they will make good.

Playing bass in in your own ears, hence the variety of basses. You narrow the choice to two, you have made it a no brainer. Get what fits you best.

tk

19. apollo11

apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    My Sterling fretless has a quiet G, especially around frets 5-9.
    My Fenders have all had loud G strings, an even match for the other 3 strings.

20. Söderberg

Söderberg

Sep 30, 2004
    Sweden
    I recently sold my stingray because of the big neck and the annoying thin sound of the g-string. But I´m going to check out both a Sterling and a Bongo