sterling or stingray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by punk guy, May 8, 2001.

1. sterling or stingray?

the only difference between the two that i know of is that the sterling has the pick-up switch, but other than that i cant see any. (and the metal bit under the volume knobs is not on the sterling)

so, what are their differences? which one do you think is better?
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    STingRay has a humbucker.
    Sterling has 3 triple coil. The 3rd coil is hidden. When you use the switch, it goes out of phase or used one coil of the pup & the hidden coil. The hidden coil prevents the "single coil hum". I'm not 100%, thou.
    StingRay has a larger body.
    Sterling has a smaller body.
    StingRay has a neck that is wider @ the nut. Like a P-bass
    Sterling has a tapered neck like a J bass.

The one that is better is the one that fits your needs better. I always like the Sterling better. The smaller body & neck was very comfortable. The 3 way switch made the bass more versatile.

Good luck.

I just went to the MusicMan site & hrer is the Pup description:

Controls: 3-band active preamp - volume, treble, mid, and bass

Switch: 3-way lever pickup selector (position 1 is closest to bridge) (Coil 1 closest to bridge)
    1) Coils 1 & 2 (parallel)
    2) Coil 1 & phantom coil
    3) Coils 1 & 2 (series)

Pickups: Music®Man humbucking with hum cancelling phantom coil

Optional: Piezo Bridge (3EQ only) available at an additional charge
  3. I would say that the Stingray has a ballsier tone. It has more of a growl. The Sterling has a similar sound, but it's a little more mellow. But IMO, it's more versatile. And the neck is thinner and easier to play IMO. I play a Sterling. I chose it because of the versatility and I like it because the high notes are very clear and really ring. It has helped me develop my soloing. But depending on what you want to play, if you want a super ballsy growl and slap tone, the Stingray is one of a kind. They are both quality instruments.
  4. I'd say go with the Sterling. You'll get MULTIPLE sound out of it, as opposed to the StingRay, wiht one.
  5. i'm assuming u play punk by your name.

go for the stingray

you dont need versatility that much for punk. plus the 3-band eq on the stingray is plenty. AND the stingray has a more in your face sound. you cant really go wrong with either, but i would say go for the stingray.
  6. thanks guys, i was kind of leaning towards the sterling more than the stingray anyway.

i do play a lot of punk, but i also play funk and know most of the chili peppers' stuff, and i love to slap but it sounds shocking on my jazz bass.

Do they both have a good slap sound?
  7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I play punk also, somewhat. I play more ska oriented stuff though, so I like the more mellow tone of the sterling.

But for punk? I think you might like the stingray more.

It has a really "in your face" sound.

To let you check one out... #2 from Anti-Flag uses one.

I suggest you try both out before buying them. People say they're alike, but I find them very different, other than the fact that they both have "Music Man" written on them.

Nino put all the specs very well.
  8. "You'll get MULTIPLE sound out of it, as opposed to the StingRay, wiht one."

True, but what a sound the Stingray has!

Regarding slap-bass... I shouldnt worry about that, it's hideously out of fashion anyway. Only Flea can get away with it!
  9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    So true. They're both great basses. It's gonna be a tough choice, punk guy!!!!

Why not buy a matching pair!!! :D;)
  10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I'd suggest strapping them on in the store and seeing how they both feel.

I play punkish stuff. I bought a Sterling cuz it fit my body better and just felt right to me. I also wanted a little more versatility. It comes in handy when I switch to a pick - and every once in a while when I do some slapping (only 30 seconds of slapping aloud per set).

A lot of people compare the necks to P and J bass necks, but there really isn't that much difference. I don't know the specs but if you play them both I think you'd be hardpressed to tell them apart. The body is where the difference is noticable, the Stingray seems a lot bulkier.

My only peeve (and a little one) with the Sterling is that I have thought at times that it was a little thin sounding. I never used a Stingray with a band, but I've heard them quite often and I think they do have a little more balls to them. I think the Sterling makes up for lightness on the bottom end though by being able to rip through the mix like nothing I ever heard. It took me a little getting used to as I wasn't used to hearing every nuance of my playing. First time I used it at a gig I was a little freaked, I had to play more carefully. Now I love it cause I can bend strings and do all kinds of other little things that would never come through the mix before. I'm not sure if the Stingray is capable of such clarity throatiness - whatever ya wanna call it.

Last note - I also own a P-bass deluxe (MIA), and a Warwick. The Sterling is the bass I use for all my own stuff - and the other Nerve guys get on my case if I take another bass to a gig. When a guitarist and drummer take note of the sound of your bass, you know you got something happening.
  11. Try a StingRay 5. That has the StingRay sound, plus the switch for different sounds. Fivers aren't much harder to play. They aren't used much for punk, though. I don't know why, probably the bigger neck slows you down a little.
  12. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Punk doesn't require the low b. That's why, if you play a low b while you're guitarist's EQ settings consist of tones of treble, you're not gonna match very well. I don't think he should get the Stingray 5 if he doesn't like 5's. That's just a silly suggestion. It's like throwing money away for a string he'd probably never use. :)
  13. The 5 isnt only for the lower 5 notes, its for the ease of play up the neck. I have playing an open E, so the would be worth it just so I can play the Fretted E on the B.

FWIW, I would get a P bass :D
  14. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Tallguy... You're not really on-topic here... He's talking about a Sterling or a Stingray (4). Not 5 strings, or Fender p's.
  15. thank everyone, STERLING IT IS!
  16. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I hope you've tried both, for your sake. :)