Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sterling Players: Advice wanted

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thisSNsucks, Sep 6, 2005.

1. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    hey guys, I hope to order a MM Sterling sometime next week but before I do I gotta go test some out at my local shop. This won't be my first time playing one but this time I gotta make sure I really love the sound before I spend all my hard earned money lol. Anyway I was just hoping you guys could give me some advice on how to set the EQ on the bass and the amp in hopes to get a similar tone that Roger Twig from Less than Jake gets with his Sterling. also some tips on how to get that smooth bass tone a la Tim Foreman from switchfoot would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!

2. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Just a heads up, those dual pickup Sterlings should be out soon. You might want to wait for one of those?

3. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    My last remaining MusicMan is a Sterling. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the amount of tones you can get out of one by using it's 3-way pickup wiring selector switch and 3-band EQ. They are very tonally versatile IMO.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Dave LaRue let me use his totally badass curly maple top Sterling with binding and a Kahler whammy for a session he produced, and I just left it flat with just a touch of the active bass response added. More and more I think flat all the way around is the way to go on bass no matter what it is. Dave will boost the lows slightly when he wants a really fat low end, and he'll boost the highs ever so slightly when he slaps. He'll also use the pickup switch similar to how bassists will use a Jazz and roll off the neck pickup a little for Jaco-style soloing.

At least that's how he did it with a Sterling. I have no idea what he does with his Bongos since it has a second pickup.

5. Simball

Simball

Mar 26, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Good advice.

6. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Can you roll off the neck coil "just a little"? I think you can only shut it up completely (middle lever position). There's no knob for that, but the coil tap switch (I own a SR5 but played several Sterlings and they have the same electronics).

ANDRUCA

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    yeah but the result is pretty much the same.

8. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Yeah, right now I have a Stingray but I never really loved the sound. I played a sterling about a week ago and loved it. That 3 way switch is really cool and has probably the nicest neck ive ever felt. I'm just waitin on ppl to bid on my ray and once its gone I'm gonna order a sterling.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sterling is the way to go. Best neck ive felt by far, no comparison. I leave mine in the series position 95% of the time, parallel maybe just for a day or so after i get new strings bc they are too bright, and the parallel seems to have a less harsh top end compared to series.

Gosh, what a good bass though.

On the bass, i put my mids all the way up, and generally keep the treble flat with the bass boosted just a little. On the amp is actually the same thing, cept the mids arent completely maxed out, they are just boosted a lot, and the bass boosted a little too.

I like mids.