1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sterling Ray 34 grounding/shielding issue

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Aaronk0, May 25, 2016.

1. Aaronk0

Aaronk0

May 25, 2016
    hey guys I have an issue that I need to solve quickly with what I believe is a shielding issue, there is a hum and soon as I touch any hardware on the bass it disappears.

I've just brought one of the new Ashdown root master heads and it's only now this issue has arose to be sure I've tested my other active basses and not had an issue so I figure it must be to do with the pup, anyway I have a gig in a few days and my bass tech won't have a chance to repair it by then, so I need a quick solution.

I have seen using copper tape in the bass cavitys and across the pickups as a solution but I'm not competent enough to take it apart, I know the obvious solution is to keep my hand on the strings or hardware at all times but I have a memory like a fish, so is there any other temporary diy solutions people can think of?.

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I wouldn't worry about it man, it may not even make noise in a different room, and a bit of hum on stage isn't a huge deal. If you were going to the studio it may be a different story. Play your gig, and get it shielded when your guy can get a chance to work on it.