1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sterling Ray34 Cloverleaf head fallen out of tuning peg

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by brettus1963, Jun 28, 2017.

1. brettus1963

brettus1963

Apr 19, 2016
    G'day, I've just changed the strings on my RAY34 and the 'Cloverleaf' tuning head has come off.

This is usually secured into the tuning peg but the gap in the tuning peg that secured the cloverleaf has widen and it doesn't hold anymore. I've tried to narrow the opening with pliers but its not enough to hold the cloverleaf. Anyone else experienced this? Would superglue work?

Alternatively, what's a drop-in/replacement tuner for the RAY34 tuners.

2. MrMoonlight

MrMoonlight Bottom feeder

Sep 2, 2008
    If you want to upgrade, these will do the trick:
    HB7 Tuning Machine > Store > Hipshot Products.

If you just want to replace what you've got, these drop in as well:
    Fender Highway 1 / Mexico Standard Bass Tuners 0036400049
    Even though they're "Fender" tuners, if you examine them closely, they're pretty much identical to what's on your Ray34. I'm guessing Sterling sources their tuners from the same factory as Fender does. Ideally, you'd want to buy an individual tuner but I've only ever seen these sold in sets. But you can try looking around for a single.

The Hipshots are, of course, superior in every way but I've found the stock tuners on the Ray34 are actually pretty decent (I own an SB14 with the same tuners). I'm surprised one of yours failed the way it did but, alas, we don't live in a perfect world.

3. brettus1963

brettus1963

Apr 19, 2016
    Cheers for the reply.
    I'm thinking it most likely been cause by something I've done, inadvertently knocked or fallen over, that's caused it to fail.

4. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Look at this picture,...give you any ideas?
    images.