1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sterling Ray34 or SB14?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NickSW, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Just want to see what your guys opinions are on these, I'm looking to pick one up but not totally sure on what to go for at the moment.

The SB14 for me has the neck that will suit me better, and the lower weight will help (and it is a little cheaper), but the Ray34 has the more classic sound, and it my opinion, looks better. I will also be playing whatever I get in a band that plays in drop C so wonder how well the thinner neck of the SB14 will play with it dropped that low?

Any info would be much appreciated!

2. iunno

iunno

Dec 16, 2010
    I think the 34CA has a thinner neck, check that one out. The 2 band preamp sound nicer too imo.

3. I'm pretty sure the sb14 has the thinner neck. I think the Ray34 is like a p-bass and the sb-14 is like a jazz bass, for comparison's sake. The ray has a wider nut, and has a more "vintage" tone and feel (if that makes any sense). The sb14 has been described as more aggressive due to the parallel nature of the coils. The ray I guess, therefore, could be considered thumpier, where as the sb14 could be considered as growly and modern sounding. That being said, with eq settings, both basses are extremely versatile, so if I were you, I'd choose which ever one feels the most comfortable to play

Sent from my iPhone using TalkBass

4. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Ray coils are in parallel, too. The SB14 is supposed to be a clone of the EBMM Sterling. The Sterling has ceramic magnets in the pickup, which gives it a slightly more aggressive tone than the Stingray (which has alnico magnets). I think the SB14 is like the Sterling, in having ceramic magnets, but I'm totally not sure.

Personally, I prefer the ceramic sound over the alnico sound. But, I really don't think the difference is all that great. Either one, with the coils in parallel, gives a great Stingray-type sound. My favorite for slap tone, in particular.

5. +1
    Sorry, yeah, I think you're right actually :oops: I was actually thinking about the magnets but stupidly said parallel. I stand corrected.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkBass

6. wyliecoyote

wyliecoyote

Nov 18, 2014
    Does anybody have any idea why SBMM has discontinued the SB-14? By all accounts they sound as if they are very good basses.