1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sterling Ray35 for Rockbass Corvette $$

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Minirehak 212, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Minirehak 212

Minirehak 212

Mar 7, 2015
    Milwaukee
    Hey guys and gals, I need some assistance.
    I am currently talking with a guy about trading my Rockbass Corvette $$ +50 bucks for his Sterling ray35. I haven't really had any experience with any stingray like bass. Part of me wants to keep the Rockbass but part of me wants something new. Any and all opinions are welcome (except trade for a p)

I suppose I left some things out. I current play 4's and 6's, never owned a 5 string. I play metal and hard rock but dabble in other styles as well. I guess my main concern is how versital the ray is, all of my basses are dual pickup.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  2. liveburning274

liveburning274 Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    I had a Ray35 for years and loved it! First things first, it's definitely a Stingray so know that that is the sound you are getting. It's hot, it's cutting and it sounds like almost no other bass out there. I found mine incredibly versatile and mellowed some of the edge off of it by running Sadowsky flats on it. I played so many styles of music with that bass and it always fit nicely!

G RICH 5, Helix and Minirehak 212 like this.
  3. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    The Ray has a series/single/parallel switch so it has a bit of versatility but the pickup location will dictate most of the sound. I personally love Rays and think they sound great, especially the 5's.

The series sound is thicker than a Snickers and works wonderfully in a rock setting. You will just growl through the guitars. Parallel will sound closer to a 2 pickup bass but it will have more focus in the low midrange due to the pickup design.

4. Friend of mine is in a touring southern thrash groove metal band has an endorsement with Sterling and Mesa. He's running a Powerhouse cabinet and a Ray 35. That combo is punchy and thunderous. I really like the Rockbass, but I think I'd make that trade.

5. Minirehak 212

Minirehak 212

Mar 7, 2015
    Milwaukee
    So far everyone I talked to has told me to make the trade. There isn't a lot of videos showing the Ray35 but the ones I have seen have really sparked my interest. I guess I'm kinda partial to Warwicks but something new would be fun to try. What can you guys say about the build quality?

Edit: Fun fact about this trade. This is the same guy that I got the Rockbass from. He didn't really want to sell it but needed the money, now it seems like he wants it back. At first he said it would be a bass plus 200, when I told him it was the Rockbass we talked for a bit and he dropped it to 50. And here is the Ray35 Screenshot_2016-08-01-17-12-58.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    G RICH 5 likes this.
  6. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    The Rays have a distinct sound that none of your other basses will be able to get, also as you mentioned, it's a five string - so it's something you don't have already in your collection.
    However, that being said, I would highly recommend is going to a music store and playing one, run it through its paces and see if it's something you want for your own piece of mind.

7. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I would totally do it....only because I totally want a Stingray 5....(and a Ray35 is close enough)

However, I want to point out that the Ray35 does not have a Single Coil option...it has some sort of filter installed in the electronics circuit to make it sound sort of like a single coil. So it has Series/Parallel/Series-with-filter.
    I had just found this out like last month. I guess that was cheaper than installing a 5-string pickup with phantom coil. (The Sterling model has the phantom coil, but it is only a 4-string)

G RICH 5 likes this.
  8. Minirehak 212

Minirehak 212

Mar 7, 2015
    Milwaukee
    The corvette has the series/parallel switches for each pickup but I barley even use them, in don't like the volume drop. If I want a singe coil sound idea just use one of my basses with the singles, no biggie. I am talking with this guy about maybe giving the trade a month to see if everything works out for both of us. No shop by me has one

Maxdusty likes this.
  9. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Sounds like a good plan. You already know he's familiar with that bass so he knows what to expect, good contingency clause for you though.

10. Minirehak 212

Minirehak 212

Mar 7, 2015
    Milwaukee
    Right after I got it from him I took it into a shop for fretwork. There were a decent amount of high frets that made a low action impossible. It's in better playing condition now than what it was. Earlier this year I tried a trade that I didn't like so I'm just being careful

11. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2010
    NJ
    First thing that jumped out at me regarding the Ray35 that I see in the pic you posted, and it might also just be the angle, but the strings seem to be skewed to the B-string side. The B string looks like it's almost falling off the edge, whereas the G string has lots of room. Also because of this, the strings don't appear to be centered over the pole pieces. Nor is the A string centered over the center dots. Might just need a loosening of the neck bolts & a little tweak.

Having mentioned that, I used to own a SBMM Ray34CA and it was a very nice bass, particularly at its price point. It didn't sound 'exactly' like a true 'Ray, but it was pretty darn close. I used to also own a Rockbass Corvette. I forget if it was active or passive, but it had the J/J pickups, not the double 'bucks. Also a nice instrument that had a bit of that authentic Warwick growl to it.

A few more things to consider: the Ray35 will have tighter string spacing than your 4-string $$. But since you also play a 6er, you're probably used to that. Coming from 2-pickup basses, if you're comfortable planting your right thumb on the neck pickup, you may have to adjust your technique slightly on the Ray. The $$ has a ton of real estate on which to rest your thumb.

But, if the neck on the Ray35 can't be realigned (you could also re-mount the bridge, but that's more money being sunk into the deal from your end) I'd probably steer clear of the trade. You could likely pick up a used Ray35 any day of the week down the road.

12. Minirehak 212

Minirehak 212

Mar 7, 2015
    Milwaukee
    Wow I didn't even notice that, he is supposed to send more pics today after 4 so I'll know for sure if it's the neck. If that's how they are i don't think I'll take it, good eye

And when I play 2 pickup basses I usually plant my thumb on the bridge pickup and always roll the neck off a little so I don't think the placement will bother me. The 2 six strings i play have a pretty tight spacing so I'm not concerned

13. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I didn't notice that as I'm looking at the post from my smart phone...you're right about the B string, at least from the photo, I can't tell if it's just the angle but it's way too close to the edge there.

14. Minirehak 212

Minirehak 212

Mar 7, 2015
    Milwaukee
    I just asked him and showed him a close up and he said it was a bad picture but it does need a setup. I'll know for sure when he sends more

15. Minirehak 212

Minirehak 212

Mar 7, 2015
    Milwaukee
    So I saw some more pictures and talked with him a bit more and I decided to take the plunge and trade basses. I figured it would be cool to have a stingray tone in my arsenal and I haven't had a 5 yet so it'll be a win win. I have it scheduled for this Sunday so I'll keep you guys posted.

Maxdusty likes this.
  16. liveburning274

Mar 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    How'd the maiden voyage go?? :)

Minirehak 212 likes this.
  17. Minirehak 212

Minirehak 212

Mar 7, 2015
    Milwaukee
    Well I've had it for a few days now and just got around to putting some DR HI Beams on it. It's still pretty early on but what I can say now is I'm blown away by how good this thing sounds. I didn't think I would like this bass as much as I do. I've never really looked into stingrays before this but now I think it was the bass tone I was looking for. I love the punch this thing has and the B String is so good. I am very happy with the trade

Haji and eastcoasteddie like this.
  18. liveburning274

Mar 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    Glad to hear it! I still miss mine some days. It really brings something to the table that a P or Jazz bass just doesn't.