1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Sterling Ray35 Quilted Maple

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dbassmon, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    What do you think of this? Mahogany body, Quilted Maple top and head stock. I ordered one today[​IMG]

murphy and anavar like this.
  2. dinodino

dinodino

Mar 9, 2008
    I love the stingray sound and the figured top...but I can't get over the pg shape of the 5 stringers. Just my personal taste though.

walldaja likes this.
  3. LowEndOperative

LowEndOperative ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Michigan
    I'm usually a fan of black pickguards but it doesn't look that good with the maple quilt.

4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Fantastic bass. I recently bought the Pearl White Ray 34 with black hardware or I'd be all over the 4-string model...just started a thread about them yesterday because I saw one for sale at reverb.com.

Dbassmon likes this.
  5. anavar

anavar

Oct 10, 2013
    Australia
    my bass tone can beat up your dad's bass tone.
    i like it Op, black hardware would look best on it though.

beautiful nonetheless

Dbassmon likes this.
  6. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    OK so here is the review of this bass after having played for a couple of months: The fit and finish are as good as anything coming out of the US Ernie Ball Factory. Electronics are identical but assembled in Korea. The hardware almost identical to the US Stringray, not strung through the body is the only difference.

Set up perfectly out of the box. Comes with a gig bag which is serviceable but not great.

I was always a Fender P player so this is a complete departure from where I usually live sonically. I have a great appreciation for the sound of a Stingray bass now for certain genres of music. It is aggressive as all get out and a great rock bass, also great slap tones. Not warm and woody like a P bass, but in your face. I re-strung it using D'Addario XL nickels which I use on every bass I have strung with round wounds only to decide the Ernie Ball strings that came on the bass sound better on this instrument.

The controls are volume, Treble, Mid, Bass control plus a three way switch which is 1) Humbucker Series with cap to roll off some of the Stringray Snap, 2) Humbucker Series, and 3) Humbucker parallel - a little thinner and brighter

Its hard to believe you can buy a bass that is this good for what this bass costs. This is a totally pro quality instrument and less than half cost of USA version. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
    Goatrope and murphy like this.
  7. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    Have you owned both? Played both extensively? I have and the Sterling line is nowhere near the US line, of course IMO.

8. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    Congratulations on your beautiful bass.....Stunning

SR5vers do not have string through body option anyway

The only thing I do not like are the tuners....and would put some Hipshot ultralites that look like the proper Music man tuners

9. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    @ FingerDub. Talking about Sterling... not SUB by Sterling. I have played and own one and have played several in GC. Seems like the exact CNC program used to cut the parts is identical between USA and Korean version. I can not detect any obvious differences is part shape or dimension. The wood used on the Sterling is excellent quality.
    Murphy... 100% correct, tuners are little suspect and hipshot ultralights would be an improvement but the stock ones are adequate but not great.
    CXktrcEWsAIQr-6.jpg

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
    murphy likes this.
  10. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    I have a set of originals off my ernie ball sr5 if you ever decide you wanted to buy them

just pm me if you ever wanted

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021