1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sterling SB14 vs G&L Tribute 2000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowendgenerator, Apr 16, 2010.

1. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    I have a chance to pick up ONE of these in the future, but I'm not sure which one I would like more...Noobish, I know, but the first thing I thought was, "let's ask TB!".

I've always wanted a MusicMan style bass, but the OLP's and SUBs sucked, and I couldn't justify beating the hell out of a REAL MM. Then someone said "dude, you should try a G&L Tribute. Way better bass for the money. I've played a few of the SB14's and I think they're awesome. Very cool tones, and a decent price, but I can't find an L2000 anywhere to A/B it against.

My tone is pretty aggressive, I use a GK 1001RBII through an 810. I use DR Lo-Rider SS strings, tune to drop C, and like a nice bright/fat sound, almost slap.

Well, what does the TB community think?

2. I think SUBs dont suck
    LOL
    but it depends on what you want
    the SB14 neck is alot thinner at the nut than a L2000
    both are very flexible in range and tones
    but go about it in different ways:
    the L2000 has 3 toggle switches controlling passive/active ( something the SB14 doesnt have) parallel/series
    2 pickups vs the 1 humbucker etc
    the SB14 has the 3 way switch with single coil option using a dummy(phantom) coil to elminate hum

both are well made and you cant go wrong either way

here let Ed show you he can explain better than me:

SB14:

3. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Thanks for those links! I had to subscribe, there's a TON of demos I wanna sit down and watch. The videos turned me off to the L2000, too many switches, and the tones didn't seem all that different. The sb14 on the other hand has 3 very distinct sounds, and does them pretty well. I don't need versatility, I need one good aggrressive tone.

4. NineSpine

NineSpine

Jun 19, 2007
    I don't think Ed's video does much justice to the tonal versatility of the L-2000. I don't know if it's the low quality of youtube, or the fairly uniform playing he does, or the gear he is using, but that bass can sing in about 5000 different ways that don't get across in that video.

5. Chowowbus

Chowowbus

Mar 24, 2009
    Olympia WA
    I use a GK head and A tribute L 2000..
    I luvs it for ever ever ever.....:bassist:

6. Spiritfield

Spiritfield Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Jawja
    Never played a SB14, but have played (and owned) a metric TON of G&L's... the MFD pickups are pretty "aggressive".

Don't let the switches throw you; they are quite simple and intuitive once you sit down with the bass. one switch is merely a 3 way pickup selector. Easy. Another is merely active, passive, active with treble boost. Easy. The other controls the coils of the pickup(s); humbucking, not, etc. Slightly more "advanced" but certainly not requiring a PhD. Let your ears be your guide here.

7. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Considering a HS Sterling for a more mellow option. My G&L's kill things.

Jim

8. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I was ready to pick up my new lefty L2000 Tribute last night that had just arrived. But when I arrived at the store, it was unpacked from the box and I discovered a crack in the body near the neck and a big gap in the neck joint. I refused to accept the bass and now have to wait for another one. I was disappointed but the bass sure looked sweet otherwise. I hope it was just a fluke and that the replacement has no issues.

9. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Ugh, maybe you're right, maybe the G&L is agressive enough, I need to try one out! Maybe I just need one of each haha. I would have to get a black/maple one fo sho.

10. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    A G&L L-2500 was THE most aggressive bass I've EVER owned.

11. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    I'd agree. If your looking for aggressiveness, I'd rank Warwick > G&L > MM. But MM's got a very rich voice, that's more musical and organic. Not to say G&Ls are bad, but MM's are very groovy.