Sterling Sub Ray4 on 18 Volts

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by C Castaneda, Apr 7, 2018.

1. C Castaneda

C Castaneda

Apr 7, 2018
    I have a Sterling Sub Ray4 Bass that has a preamp which runs at 9 Volts, I have heard of people running their Stingray Preamps on 18 Volts as it is claimed to add more headroom to the sound, I would like to try doing this to my bass ONLY if I know that it is safe to do
    upload_2018-4-7_15-41-59.png

Attached Files:

2. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    I wouldn't do it because the capacitors might be only rated at 16 volts. If they get more than 16 they will explode

3. If it’s preamp is a sealed module with no external capacitors and especially if it is the same as the Stingray it probably be fine. Have you checked the EB forum?

4. C Castaneda

C Castaneda

Apr 7, 2018
    This is the Pre Amp that the bass has.
    IMG_20180408_204112.jpg

5. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    egads surface mounts and that old noisy TL062. Since you're into tweaking why not go all way since you have a good quality bass to work with. Put in a Bartolini 2 band or similar that won't have a problem running at 18 volts. The results will blow you away. Unless you prefer the sound of the stock preamp

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

My tech upgraded my Sub Ray4 to 18v. He upgraded the pickups and preamp with EMG's.

7. I use A Bartolini 3 band preamp. Two band sound flat to me

8. C Castaneda

C Castaneda

Apr 7, 2018
    To be honest, I like 2 Band preamps better, I am a really big fan of Flea so that is the tone I am really trying to chase with an 18V 2 Band preamp, I am already happy with the Ceramic Magnet humbucker. I listened to some demos of the Bartolini preamp and I think it suits my needs, I am not willing to spend more on an Aguilar at the moment. My only question now is how you fit the second 9 Volt battery into the cavities?

9. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    For the second battery you can't get around cutting into the wood to make space. You can install another battery box next to the existing one or put battery under the pickguard. I put both batteries under the pickguard and used a drill and wood chisels to cut out the wood. The best mod I ever did and it became my main bass. I never cared for 3 bands because its too much filtering.