1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sterling SUB Ray4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eekum, May 3, 2018.

1. Eekum

Eekum

Mar 4, 2013
    Ohio
    So, I recently came across one of these in mint green for $200 used, it is in amazing condition. I love the color and look of the thing so I am debating on grabbing it up, but I wanted to pick your brains first...

This will be the first active bass I have ever owned. I have played them in the past and I do like the sound from them. I just don't really know much other than that. How often to I have to change the battery? Does it still work (passively) when the battery is dead or removed, like if it dies in the middle of a show? Should I remove the battery when I am not using it?

2. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Depends on how frequently/long you use the bass when it's plugged in.
    No. When the battery goes, for all intents and purposes, the bass goes, too. Never begin a gig without knowing the status of your battery.
    No. Just be sure to unplug whatever cable is attached to the bass, because that's what activates the preamp circuit.

Eekum likes this.
  3. dogdays

dogdays

Mar 30, 2018
    ohio
    i was ready to pull the trigger yesterday, new shipment had just come in to GC, went up there and it sounded great, and played well, except for a pretty back case of Neck Dive.

4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    NJ or Pa
    Neck dive can be easily solved.

dogdays likes this.
  5. Eekum

Eekum

Mar 4, 2013
    Ohio
    Thank you. I feel that $200 is a pretty good price for this, it is in great condition. What are you thoughts?

6. LoTone

LoTone A bass for all occasions... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    I had one of those in satin walnut. The preamp needs to be powered at all time. This bass will not emit a sound without a battery. But don't worry about that. If you put a brand new battery in there and you unplug the instrument cable when you are not using the bass, you will good for months.

7. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Hard to go wrong. If it ends up not being your cup of tea, you could probably flip it quickly without incurring a loss.

8. klaymaster

klaymaster

Jun 10, 2016
    Go for it!