1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sterling Vs Stingray neck width

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basschrs, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    The info on the EBMM website is NOT a typo. I own both basses (StingRay 5 and Sterling 5) and both necks are identical and a pleasure to play. The neck on the Sterling 4 is like the neck of a Fender Jazz. This is not the case with the Sterling 5 because of the extra string.

Who ever told you that the neck of a StingRay is like a baseball bat was greatly misinformed.

TD

2. Ahh cool, I was actually relieved to see the same neck sizes because I prefer the sterling to the stingray (a/b'ed them at GC last weekend) but I didn't like the neck width of the 4 string sterling (they didn't have a sterling 5). Now that I know the 5's are the same, the sterling is definetly the one for me. :)

3. What makes the Sterling-5 different than the Stingray-5 other than the smaller body and oval pickguard?

Though I do agree the Stingray neck is like a baseball bat...in a good way though...My bass can knock one out of the park! :)

Though when I started playing bass, the Stingray neck kinda hurt my hands, but now (I own two of them, plus a SR5) it's like the perfect width!

4. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

Whoever told you this may have been referring to the 4 string versions. While I have never thought the SR4 neck was like a baseball bat, it's thicker/wider than the Sterling 4 neck which is definitely sleeker like a Jazz neck.

5. I don't know if the preamp is maybe different.

But the pickups are different (sterling being ceramic, stingray being alnico). Although, up til recently (last year maybe?) SR5s had ceramic pickups too (unlike SR4s).