Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sterling vs stingray neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by T-birdfan, Aug 15, 2001.

1. T-birdfan

T-birdfan

Jan 29, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    I've read that the biggest difference between the two models are the necks, the difference being like the difference between a p bass and a j bass. Can anyone explain the difference between these two necks and which musicman is like which fender model?

2. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    The Sterling is to the Ray what the Jazz is to the P. The Ray has a wide neck with greater string spacing. The Sterling has a narrower neck and smaller body but comes stock with a 3 band EQ and 3 way toggle switch.

3. T-birdfan

T-birdfan

Jan 29, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    thanks, paleale. I'm looking at a new bass and I've narrowed it to an ibanez btb or a musicman. I've got smallish hands and i like the small thin necks of the ibanez, but I really want a musicman.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

T-birdfan, have you tried a BTB?

Their necks aren't near as small as the Soundgears or Ergodynes.

5. T-birdfan

T-birdfan

Jan 29, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    No I haven't, embellisher. I have only played the soundgears. Are the btb's really big? Don't they have the asymmetrical neck thats supposed to help out with guys with the smaller hands? I heard a guy play one in the store and I loved the sound, but I didn't get a chance to try it. Would it be hard to get used to?

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You'll have to try it for yourself. They are pretty big, wide with a 35" scale.

But they have a fairly thin profile.

7. i say go for the musicman all the way.. you wont be disappointed