Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sterling VS StinRay, differences??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vic, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I've always kinda' looked at the SR5's as cool, but then someone mentioned the Sterlings to me. Could all you MM/EB gurus/owners out there pipe up and tell me what's diff betwixt them? :)

2. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    the extra string and the dimentions, some ppl say that the lowB and G string are way too near the fretboard edge (in the SR5) but i think that you can play it as long as you dont try to bend on those strings

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    A stingray 5 is actually a "sterling 5". The stingray 5 has the same electronics as a sterling, that is, a 3 band eq with a series/single coil/parallel switch. The stingray 4 has no series parallell control, and has either a 2 band or 3 band preamp.
    All 3 are excellent basses! The stingray neck is somewhat bigger than a sterlings, and a sterling body is smaller than a stingrays.

4. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Thanks! So basically, if you want a 5, you gotta' do the bigger neck and body, but if you're a 4 player (careful!!! :) ), then you have a choice of nicer/slim/smaller sterling or a somewhat less fancy sr4.

I understand my confusion now. I thought there wer BOTH a Sterling AND a Stingray 5 (because there are both Sterling and SR 4's, even tho like you say, the sr4 is not just an sr5 with one fewer string).