1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sterling Woes....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Growler, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Growler

Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    So I play a Sterling 4HH w/flats, selector switch set to "all four barrels". It's very comfortable to play with the neck pickup in the perfect place to rest my thumb. I love this sound, to me it sings motown, Jamerson and smooth fingerstyle.

Here's the problem:

It sucks for slapping. Two problems, the neck H is in the way of most popping, and with the flats the aggressiveness/punch isn't quite there. So here is my dilemma, to keep with the comfortable playing weight and neckshape, is it worth it to go for a sterling 4H or 4HS for slap play? Does the HS have the same sounds as the H?

I'm not interesting in going to a SR as I don't want to deal with different neck/body/weight when switching instruments.

2. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    Even with the HS, there is less room for slap. The H will give you the most room. IMO, the S of the HS has a very unique open more airy tone to it that the HH cannot give you. When the double pu MM's came out, a lot of people complained about the lack of space. The most common reply was to improve technique of the popping fingers. (My technique sucks, BTW.)

3. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    If you're gonna get another bass, get a fender Jazz. That's really what the design is loosely based on...and you'll have single coils which are sharper anyway.

Get a big fat J-Bass and you'll love your way back to slidin' all over that sterling.

4. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    The HS doesn't sound like the HH IMO. THe best thing to do, if you like the HH, is to adapt to the bass. I've been taking lessons and it turns out I was making it harder than it had to be and I have started this new technique and it's solved my issues with the neck space.

Dan

5. xparis001

xparis001 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Providence, RI
    Senior Product Manager, Akai Professional
    what about going with rounds?

6. Growler

Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    I never quite got that smooth fingerstyle sound I was looking for until I switched to flats. I use TI Jazz flats fwiw.

7. w33nie

w33nie

Jan 27, 2008
    why not install rounds on the sterling for slapping and get a P bass with flats?

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    OP, get a inexpensive P-bass for Motown. Last I checked there is a nice Peavey Fury for sale here for $150. They are great P's with a neck even slimmer than your Sterling.

Put rounds back on your Sterling and get that great slap tone back.:)

9. Growler

Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    back in the day i used to play a P-Bass, great sound, but quite heavy. Also the neck and spacing are quite a bit different from the sterling so I had trouble switching back and forth between the two. Which is why I'd like to stick with the sterling, as then all I'm changing is sound rather than weight/spacing/balance aka playability.

What about going with a 4H with rounds just for that more aggressive tone and slapping?

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Just rounds sounds cool to me. You can always use a foam mute and turn down the treble for Motown. BTW, that Peavey Fury usually runs about 8 lbs.

11. Thats what I use for slap. Its also got great tone for more rock/pop stuff.

I would recomend something with P/J pickups.
    I have an 80s Fender Jazz Bass Special. It's got a P bass body, Jazz neck and P/J pickups. It sounds great for motown type stuff AND slap, plus it has that skinny neck. If you could find a used one, they can still be found pretty cheap and its really a great bass. I'd recomend something like that or similar.