Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steroids- Balco- Tower of Power?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by OnederTone, Dec 4, 2003.

1. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    well- kinda. The company at the center of the steroid snafu is BALCO Bay Area Labrotory Co-Op was founded by Victor Conte. He was the other bassist from TOP (I guess while Rocco was cleaning out... NOT durring Rocco's recent health stuff)

So guys... do we start a Victor Conte Legal Defense Fund? :meh:

link here

Grand jury has Bonds on deck
    By Chuck Johnson, USA TODAY
    Barry Bonds is scheduled to testify Thursday before a federal grand jury in San Francisco, thrusting one of baseball's biggest stars into the probe of a Bay Area laboratory suspected of distributing steroids and other illegal performance-enhancing substances to top athletes.
    The slugging left fielder for the San Francisco Giants is not a target of the investigation but has ties to two central figures in the probe — his personal weight trainer Greg Anderson and his nutritionist Victor Conte, founder of the Bay Area Laboratory Cooperative (BALCO).

Phone calls seeking comment from Michael Rains, Bonds' attorney, were not returned Wednesday.

Although he describes Anderson as a childhood friend and has touted BALCO's services and products, Bonds has denied using steroids. He said last month after winning his record sixth National League MVP Award that he's pleased Major League Baseball will implement steroid testing with penalties next year.

Other top athletes subpoenaed included New York Yankees first baseman Jason Giambi, Olympic sprinter Marion Jones and boxer "Sugar" Shane Mosley.

Bonds hit a record 73 home runs in 2001 and will enter his 19th season with 658, two shy of Willie Mays for third on the all-time list.

2. Man, I knew the name sounded really familiar! It was buggin' the heck out of me all this time but just never really put it together. Even seen him play w/ TOP here in the Bay Area!

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Anybody who's stupid enough to use steroids, well...