Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

steroids in sports

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Mar 10, 2005.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi all, have you been following the steroid story lately? A bunch of baseball players just got subpoenas to testify before Congress. The Comissioner of Baseball, Bud Seelig, said that even if certain individuals were convicted, they wouldn't lose their records. Any thoughts?

2. groovit

groovit

Oct 12, 2004
    New Hampsha
    Selig doens't have the balls to take a real stand on this isssue. It doesn't really matter what happens at Congress, because the commission isn't going to do anything about it. If it were me, I'd put an asterisk in big, bold font next to all the player's records that are in the Hall who used steroids...

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Really I don't think Selig has the power to do anything without the players all striking thanks to the baseball teamsters... er.. I mean "Player's Association."

brad cook

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I sued to really like baseball...after the 2nd strike, though-

Who cares.
    It's "Glorified Softball"...just let the hitters use metal bats & be done with it!

ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...z.zzzzzZzzzzzzzzzzZZZZzzzz

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    So did you win? I hope you have a good lawyer because that sounds like a tough one to win.

brad cook

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

:meh:
    Good one, Bard.

;)

7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
  8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Balco was run by former pro bassist Victor Conte. He's played with ToP and Herbie Hancock.

brad cook

9. I hate Bud Selig this much ::stretches arms::

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The players won't appear in front of Congress. Baseball is already fighting it. Canseco might go anyway just for the reason of attracting the attention to himself.

Heck...the GM of the Padres admitted he knew Caminiti was on steroids in his MVP year, but didn't want to say anything for fear of losing fans, support, and money.

Seeing one of these guys in a casket is the only thing that will get people in baseball serious about it.

-Mike

11. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    What! Pro athletes are using steroids? :eek:

12. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    One would think so, but Caminiti's death didn't seem to change a thing.....

Gotta keep in mind - baseball was in the dumper for a few seasons, following the strike, et al. Then along come these guys threatening to break, and eventually breaking, Maris' record.

Baseball was saved!! Fans were back in the seats.

That's why the commissioner and his minions looked the other way...

13. If we put all of them on steriods, It would make it more interesting....

14. groovit

groovit

Oct 12, 2004
    New Hampsha
    I heard an interview with Canseco on my local sports radio station (WEEI) and he claims that when he goes to testify something "big" will happen. :rolleyes: Is it just me, or does he really need to pull his head out of his butt?

15. Canseco is an idiot, but he's exposing something that deserves to be exposed. Creates a sort of conflict in me, I hate the sight of the man but it looks as if much of what he says is going to turn out to be true.

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I thought that might have done it, but many people closely associate Caminiti's death with his illegal drug use than with steroid use. The last report I saw on his death, people were looking into his drug and alcohol abuse more than anything else.

I'm talking about something like when Lyle Alzado from the Raiders passed away. When he died, everyone knew it was sterois that killed him.

-Mike

17. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Unless my memory is playing tricks with me, Alzado's death wasn't *exactly* steroids..... the word I heard was HGH, taken straight from cadavers.....

I thought Flo Jo's death would have raised more interest than it did, though....

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I wonder if ping pong players take steroids.

19. Am I the only person that thinks Conseco is still on steroids? That guy is HUGE!

20. Canseco actually advocates the use of steroids as a performance enhancer in sports. Hence, I call him an idiot. But in all seriousness, he could still be juicing, I'm just not sure why he would bother.