Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steve and Mike Show in Brighton this month

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Linearends, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Linearends

Linearends

Nov 5, 2004
    Hey Steve or Mike,
    I'm going to the show at the joogleberry in a week and its my first time(a solo bass virgin). Are you gonna Play together or do 2 seperate sets or both? Are you gonna improv the whole thing or play current matierial.
    Whatever you decide i'm sure it'll kick ass!

See you there!
    Brian

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Brian,

it will be a mixture of all of the above - both of us with play solo, we'll do some duo stuff. The solo stuff will probably be mostly tunes form our respective CDs, the duo stuff will be almost exclusively made up on the spot... :)

Come and say hi, and bring your friends!

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

3. Thonk

Thonk

Sep 14, 2003
    UK
    Any midlands based TB's out there headed down to this gig?

I really want to go myself(to this or any of the other gigs down south)but as i dont drive atm im looking at an over night stay in brighton (anyone know of a good hotel B&B? on the sea front?)

& Steve how come you & michael never get around to playing up north or in the midlands area?

also while i think about it steve will you be supporting LVL 42 again this year in wolvohampton?(2nd dec) i caught you as support on last year's tour and i was quite suprised/plz'ed that i did :)

Cheers
    Thonk

4. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Thonk,

I fully intend to come and play further north as soon as I can - it's all about contacts with venues. If someone invites me to play, and can sort out the details or put me in touch with a venue I'm there!

Sorry that all these dates are once again in the south-east... it'll happen though, worry not.

As for Level 42 - I've not been asked to do any more with them. I'd love to open for them again. You could email the promoter and suggest it if you like... :)

cheers!

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

5. Yeah, a further north gig would be cool. The last Reading show utterly ruled. To quote Guitarist Alan (Who's gone to see a G3 and Vai show previously, to give you an idea) said it was one of the best live shows he'd seen, and that Michael's performance of The Enormous Room was the best live song he'd ever seen...

Unfortunately, this year's gigs are all 4 hours + driving away, so it's not on the cards :(

Good luck with them anyway Steve!

Mark.

6. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Michael & Steve - any shot you guys will be recording your shows?

I'd love to buy a "best of" the tour type disc or even downloads of your duo stuff.

7. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Mark,

hopefully we'll get a gig or two in Wales next time round - thanks for your kind words about the last gig, I'm really glad you enjoyed it.

Jeff - we may well get some of the stuff recorded. I'll keep you all posted on that one.

cheers!

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

8. Linearends

Linearends

Nov 5, 2004
    Hey man, Cheers for replyin'. I will come and say hello when i'm there. Its cool that you and mike actually reply to people. Makes you less of a god and more human :p
    I loved your cd with theo by the way. Awesome. Are you gonna be sellin cds at the gig?
    If you dont reply to this then I'll see you at the gig!
    Brian

9. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There are vast numbers of small family-run B&Bs in that area - just East of the Old Steine and in streets leading off the sea front - this time of year they will be pretty empty as well!!

You should be able to get in one a few hundred yards walk from the club!! Only thing to bear in mind is that if you go further East, you will be in Brighton's famous Gay district - KempTown - there are a few Gay clubs near Joogleberrys.

Rock Place is famous for seaside B&Bs and any of the little streets between there and the Steine, that go between St.James St. and Marine Parade (Seafront) should be ideal!

11. Tonkenna

Tonkenna

Dec 15, 2003
    Loughborough, UK
    >To quote Guitarist Alan (Who's gone to see a G3 and Vai >show previously, to give you an idea) said it was one of the >best live shows he'd seen, and that Michael's performance of >The Enormous Room was the best live song he'd ever seen...

I'm interested to hear that. When I saw Michael and Steve earlier this year at the Troubador, I thought exactly the same thing. The Enormous Room was one of the most affecting pieces of music - full-stop - I've ever heard. I thought it was just me being over-emotional, but it's good to hear it wasn't just me!

Thonk, currently I'm planning on driving from Loughborough, near Leicester, to Brighton, probably leaving around lunchtime. If we can work out something reasonably simple, I could give you a lift down.

My email is P.Lindsay@lboro.ac.uk .

Cheers,

Phil

12. Thonk

Thonk

Sep 14, 2003
    UK
    Hi Tonkenna/Phil many thanks for your kind offer i've sent you some info on where im based via email So im hopping im not tofar out of your way :)

Bruce Lindfield Thanks for the info on brighton's Gay district....
    each to there own as ppl say but if i do make to to brighton(and have to stay overnight)i think i'll be staying on the west side of town ;)

Steve its a shame that lvl42 have'nt asked you back this year :( your inclusion on the tour might have helped me justify paying the £25 for the ticket now im thinking that money would be better spent coming to see you and mic in brighton ;)

Cheers
    Steven/Thonk

13. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Let me add my name to the list of people who love 'The Enourmous Room' - it's been one of my favourite bits of music ever since I first heard it in about 1995. A remarkable composition... one day I'll get round to working out a non-hipshot chord melody version if it! :)

steve
    www.stevelawson.net

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Some of the best B & Bs in Brighton are just to the East of the gig venue - I was just saying that if you go further East you will be in our Gay district. If you stay in the West - or Hove as we call it! - you will avoid this but might find it expensive to get somewhere decent....Grand Hotel?

15. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks so much for the kind words, everyone!

The gig in Brighton was way fun. Steve and I are having a great time on this tour and hoping to do more. I'm glad to know the "subversive bass" concept is working for you guys!