Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steve Bailey Fretless Fundamental first review!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sinisamars, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Ok, now for some preliminar report, with the system installed and set up:

Tone is absolutely amazing! (you expected from me to say this but anyway!)Of course, first thing I've noticed is that with this all-active setup you can go to the extremes of twang-colored tone, but personally, I find it useful just for sensible "thousand options" experimenting :), in order to find a perfect tone for the situation(which is the one of the few advantages of active pickups/preamp)

There are four pots: Volume (+pull Fretless contour), Blend, Mid, and one for Bass/Treble.
    Preamp is ultra quiet, which was expected. Some people don't like Basslines because they sound too high-tech, sterile, etc. I do not think so...At least Fretless Funamental System doesn't sound sterile to me. You can dial in a great variety of tones, and that's what I like at the moment. Buttery lows and super adjustable midtones (with Mid pot and with 'fretless contour' option, which is btw the one of the 'signature' features; it deals with high and low mids which somehow affects the harmonic sound, and enchaces it. Great for soloing, and Steve-like harmonics adventures). Mwaah (or whatever you call it) is great, but for what I think, does not depend on pickups so much. It's more on your playing style, and perhaps strings, as well as string action.

I use D'Addario Chromes (flatwound) strings at the moment. They are heavier gauge (.105-.50) and they play important part of the sound, too. They are tighter that Thomastik, as you already know, but it's not so bad... I like 'em..

About the Jazz Bass replacing availability: I am not really sure if it could be easily installed
    in the standard jazz bass (passive). This is 3-band EQ system, but if you purchase it with the 2-band EQ, i think it 's ok. My bass is some sort of jazz-style body, but it had one volume and one tone pot, plus two switches, one for pickup choosing and one for some kind of tone boost :)) (don't know really)
    I luckily didn't have to cut the body wood, but I went to the tech for the installation after all, just wanted to be sure.
    Other bass specs: 4 string, basswood body (mild-heavy), great unplugged tone;
    one piece, oil finish, "no fingerboard" neck made of Tali (Missanda, Muave) wood (some kind of mahogany, but harder and more stable and weather/instects resistant), bolt-on, Schaller bridge and tuners, bone nut.

You should expect pics and sound clips in few days, within this topic.

Be good!

Sinisa