Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steve Bailey plays Fodera now?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimothyGroovy, Oct 17, 2005.

1. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    I just read the Bass Player magazine October 05' issue. On page 16, there is an article about "Seven Steps to Jaco" JVC Tributre Concert, and I saw the picture that Steve Bailey was playing a Fodera fretless 6 string bass (I guess so, because I saw the butterfly logo on the headstock). Anyone know about it? Does Steve offically switch to Fodera?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I hope this improved his sound. While I love his playing, his sound makes me cringe (although this didn't stop me from buying Dichotomy).

3. c'mon, what was wrong with his Aria and SD "fundamental fretless" pickups?

Seriously? How, if he simply is clueless as to eq-ing can a Fodera make his tone any better?

4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    He's listed on Warwick's site as an endorsee and has been sighted using them for over a year now - I'm guessing it's a loaner or gift from Victa.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    dang,

good to have virtuoso bass friend.s :)

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I also noticed that Victor had a ramp on his bass!! :D

7. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Wonder if Steve bought a Jerzy Drozd ever, he was seen enjoying a Ledgend at NAMM '05.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I saw that too....they're bound to become standard issue on some basses (other than the Ibanez Gary Willis) sometime soon. I'm surprised they're not a standard on the Matt Garrison sig.

As far as Steve's tone, I think it's the way it is because that's how he likes it. It sounded the same when he played Heartfields as well.

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I wish someone around here would start making them! I'm horrible at making them (i'm on my 3rd).

:D

10. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Yeah I can't make ramps either. :meh: I made one out of pink ivory that's nice, but one out of mahogany thats...not nice.

11. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    I think I missed the joke, making what?

Also, not too familiar with Steve's sound, can someone fill me in?
    thanks!

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    You know, THEM!!!

:D

We were talking about making ramps.

Sorry for the hijack, BTW. :)

13. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    When I saw Steve playing with Victor a few month ago it looked like Steve was playing an Ibanez . . .

and visiting here confirms that:

http://www.stevebaileybass.com/

14. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I've seen a couple of shots with Steve playing what clearly was a 6 string, fretless Fodera. And why not? His good buddy Victor Wooten has been playing them for years; he knew a good thing when he saw it. With all do respect to the guy who said he dug Steve's Aria, the 4 and 5's I've seen (I've never actually checked out the flagship 6 string fretless model) was hardly impressive. I was surprised a musician of this caliber would even endorse those things. It might as well have been a Cort (made in the same factory, perhaps?). The Fodera his playing these days could only be a thousand times better.

r

15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Same here.

He recorded Dichotomy with his Heartfield 6, IIRC.

16. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I also saw him playing a Spector in a couple of videos on the Spector website. Is he with Spector now?

Joe

17. I saw him at a clinic with Victor Wooten a few years ago and his sound was Very good!!!

But it would be nice to watch him playing a Fodera or a Warwick...

18. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I think he'll play Arias as long as Aria keeps the Steve Bailey model in production.

I've seen a NAMM pic where both he and Victor Wooten were playing Arias. Maybe Steve was returning the favor.
    His intonation and chops are great, but he has a very nasal sound that's not bassy at all, IMHO.

19. TimothyGroovy

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    I saw that too!

20. TimothyGroovy

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    +1!