1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Steve Bailey VI Jazz Bass Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aasti3000, Aug 6, 2012.

1. aasti3000

aasti3000

Jul 18, 2012
    So, I thinking of selling my 4 string jazz to get either a 5 or 6 string jazz because the neck of the 4 string is just to narrow for my big hands. I found someone selling a Steve Bailey VI Jazz Bass that looks tempting. My question is, for those of you who have one with huge hands like mine, do you have any issues with neck area near the headstock? From the pictures the neck looks EXTREMELY narrow near the headstock and there isn't any of those basses around my area to test one out before I buy it from this seller. Your input would be helpful for me to make this decision.

2. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    I have one and though my hands aren't huge the neck is really comfortable due to the asymetrical neck profile. I'm in love with mine even though the pole pieces on the bridge pick up tend to shred my ring finger tip. All in all though it is a very comfortable bass to play and I highly recommend it.

Stay Brown,
    Rev J

3. aasti3000

aasti3000

Jul 18, 2012
    Pole pieces near the bridge pick up? I'll have to look at that. Really looks like a good bass and it's a 6 string fender...never heard of that before. Thanks for the feed back Rev J.

4. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Yeah I use a 3 finger plucking technique over the bridge pick up within the first month I had the beginning of a divit worn in the finish around the bridge pick up where I rest my thumb when I play. It is amazing it sounds just like an old Fender with a slighly more modern tone.

I always said that if Fender made a 6 string 24 fret Jazz Bass I'd get one. I was fortunate to get one of the last ones made before they were discontinued. The guy at the shop where I bought it said it was the only instrument he ever sold that actually appreciated in value before it left the shop.

Stay Brown,
    Rev J

wes stephenson likes this.
  5. aasti3000

aasti3000

Jul 18, 2012
    Really? Wow...I'm shocked this guy is selling it if that's the case. And if I get it, I better hold on to it. I think I'm gonna get it. Just hope that narrow neck area near the headstock won't be an issue. That's the only thing holding me up from buying it.

6. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    I'd do it.

Stay Brown,
    Rev J

7. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    The neck is not extremely narrow at the nut, it's about 2" and definitely you can't go wrong with the 19mm string spacing at the bridge.

Here is my SBJB6:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:)

8. aasti3000

aasti3000

Jul 18, 2012
    Flaked Beans - thanks for the pictures and info. This is the exact same one he is selling. The black one. If it's that wide around the nut area as you say then I gotta get it. The other pictures I saw of it were factory pictures so I really couldn't get a feel of that neck near the headstock. And I'm a newbie bass player and forgot to take in consideration the spacing. Looks like it's a go. Thanks you Flaked Beans and Rev J.

Gotta love this forum.

9. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    I know he's now with Warwick... can be more than a reason, thinking about his sound, yet awesome bass... and another Jazz bass masterpiece BTW!

Cheers,
    Wallace

10. aasti3000

aasti3000

Jul 18, 2012
    @Wallace - there is a thread somewhere on TB where Steve Bailey explains why he left fender. He mainly said they weren't "family" oriented like Warwick is. He said they weren't returning calls or emails etc, and didn't really market his signature bass. So I guess he was like...."I'm outta here!"

11. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    Here is the link the the thread in question, posted by Steve at the time of his move: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f28/steve-bailey-speaks-warwick-fender-759381/ Please let me know if you've got any questions or if I can assist in any way. Thanks!

wes stephenson likes this.
  12. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Mine is Sunburst. I think they look better beaten up. After the first month I started getting an indentation worn around where I I rest my thumb when I'm playing.

Stay Brown,
    Rev J