Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

steve bailey

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Karl shott, May 5, 2002.

1. i've been listening to the stuff this guy has been playing for a few years and he really .....sucks! i mean, shouldn't he be playing guitar instead? tell me what you think.:eek:

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    You're going to get blasted for this thread but I would have to agree with you.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'm curious - how does steve bailey suck? technically he's one of the best fretless players out there intonation-wise. i've seen him play many times and i've never heard him play a clam.

is this a subjective/taste thing? as in, "i don't like the notes he plays"? or is it the fact that he isn't matching _your_ definition of what a bass player should play? he's had a lot of gigs with some established people, from dizzy gillespie to jethro tull, and everything i've heard him do was done with skill and finesse, perfect for the gig and the song he was playing.

as for the guitar comment, i get really sick of people who think they know what instrument someone else should play. :rolleyes: how about focusing on your own instrument, m'kay?

you asked.

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    steve bailey definatly does not suck. He's one of the best in the business. Just because you dont like one's particular style or music doesnt mean they suck. I dont particularly care for Baileys work either, but by no means would I ever say he sucks. Thats a pretty arrogent statment on your part.

Why should he be playing guitar? Because he doesnt fit you're critera of what a bass player should do? Because he can solo and chord?? Thats another arrogent statement on your part.

You should worry more about you're own instrament and abilities instead of thinking what others should play or how they play it.

i also think this threads going to be a huge flame, so i will close it the minute it gets really ugly.

5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I agree with you JT,steve is very talented,and guys that constantly make these statements,and they know who they are,should maybe keep their mouths shut,because most who talk a bunch of crap about another kat in most cases usually are the ones that suck.and in a lot of situations when they meet the kat that they feel sucks so bad they end up kissing the kats ass.

6. James S

James S

Apr 17, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Many years ago Steve was a student and a very close friend of mine. At that time he was very talented and highly motivated. Through a lot of hard work Steve has become a respected professional.

I know Steve to be an honest person with a good heart who is playing what he thinks best. I encourage you not to get hung up on the things you don't like in life.

Remember, "Opinions are like A** Holes, everybody's got one."

Jim Stinnett

7. Steve Bailey does nothing for me at all, matter of fact neither does his pal Vic Wooten.

Do they suck? Not even close.