Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steve Brunner, Suicidal Tendencie, whadda think?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Selta, Aug 1, 2003.

1. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Well, recently I was introduced to the band Suicidal Tendencies. Turned of by the vocals mostly, and never gave the band a good look before due to the name, but I'm glad I have now. The bassist, Steve Brunner is absolutly wonderful if you ask me. I was just wondering what the rest of the T.B. world thought of him. Now, S.T. also had that Rob guy, from current Metallica, so if you need to get some of S.T.s stuff, get the post 1990 stuff.

So, whadda think of him? I think he's really good, and he has now gone onto to be one of my "idols" when it comes to bassing. Simply wonderful....

_Ray_

2. Funk Warts

Funk Warts

Jun 13, 2001
    London, UK
    I saw Suicidal in London last year which was their first tour with Steve (his brother plays drums for the band but I can't remember his name now) and in fact I briefly met him before the gig we chatted for one or two minutes he is a top guy he signed my ticket which is now proudly on display in my bedroom!

As a bass player i think he is great but i doubt it is him you heard on record as ST haven't released an album since 2000's 'Free Your Soul And Save My Mind' which was the last album on which Brooks Wackerman played drums and Josh Paul played bass (he replaced Rob Trujillo around the mid-late 90s who now plays in Metallica of course). Josh Paul is a fantastic player but is more of a session musician or at least that's how it seems to me.

As for Steve Brunner he seemed excellent live and coped with Josh Paul's and Rob Trujillo's lines really well (their older 1980s thrash stuff isn't too demanding) but he is only 18, he was 17 when i saw them last year and obviously playing with suicidal is going to get better and better i think he will be a fantastic bass player and go on to the kind of success rob trujillo has found.

Nice to hear him get a mention though!

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I see, it IS Josh who I heard, and he is great though too. I'm hoping to catch them on tour soon, but I don't see any PA show dates...

Oh well, I can still listen to their CDs.....anyone else out here have any comments about them?

_Ray_