Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steve coleman question!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by eric atkinson, Jan 14, 2002.

1. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hey who plays bass for him?

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Dave Holland, on one album ("Extensions").

As for the MBase stuff, I'm not sure. James Genus?

3. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Great sound for who ever it is!

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Eric-
    How 'bout being a little more specific?
    Coleman goes back to the mid-'80s(?).

I brought an M-Base Collective disc into work yesterday...Reggie Washington was playing electric bass on that particular album(Lonnie Plaxico is another M-Base bassist).

I know Holland has an album called Extensions...does Coleman have one by that name, too?
    ...just wonderin'.
    BTW, Triplicate(another Dave Holland album)is a TRIO outing w/ Holland, DeJohnette, & Coleman.
    Pretty cool.

5. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Man to tell you the truth i havent heard alot of them! I was crusing in town the other day and switched channels on my radio becase i was so sick of listining to my daughters crap and i heard them and thought wow i need to get this stuff! So what album would you sudgest? I know the sonf was from him and the 5 elements! And it had a small bass solo in the middle of the song! And alot of percusion!

Thanks guys!

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I have The Sign & The Seal...whole lotta percussion & the overall tone is dense/thick.
    I actually prefer M-Base's Anatomy Of A Groove.
    Coleman is a sideman on the other stuff I have...the Dave Holland material &, I think, Robin Eubank's (electric/acoustic)solo stuff.