Steve Earle talking about his bass player.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bassbully, Dec 4, 2014.

1. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    So I am driving home from band practice last night listening to Steve Earle host his radio show on SiriusXM Outlaw station.

Steve said to his Guest "you know if I lost my bass player that has been with me since the late 90's Kelly Looney I would stop playing in a band", he means that much to me.

Steve went on to say he had a few bass players in the past but Kelly was the glue to his band. He said I always felt if I had a good bass player I could add the other players and it would all be good.

What a cool thing to say about your bassist. I saw Steve a couple of years ago with Kelly and they were solid as a rock. Kelly is not flashy but is a solid bassist sporting a vintage P bass to boot. My kind of bass player.

Attached Files:

2. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I'm not surprised, Steve Earl is the real deal and great artist.

3. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I agree been a fan for a long time. Most artists don't speak enough of their bands but he singled out his bass player. Pretty cool.

4. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    I would venture a guess that for Steve Earle, very likely, he's talking about more than Kelly Looney's capabilities as a bassist and musician. Sometimes it's about the other things that someone brings to the table: affability. Being easy to work with for everybody in the band. Or an intuitive understanding of where the artist wants the material to go.

I suspect that Steve Earle has a sort of musical shorthand with Kelly after working together for so long. But there's no doubt a personal rapport that's very strong there, too. And I think it's this thing that's common to so many bands. Lots of bands get together because the people involved LIKE each other and want to play music.

So what time/day is Steve's show on SiriusXM, bassbully? I'd really like to check it out.

5. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Im not sure the time of his show but it was last Sunday about 9 pm in the Midwest. I guess you can look it up on the net. I want to catch the show as well for it was really good.
    I thought it was cool when he said was if he ( Kelly) quit playing I would quit playing in bands all together.

Also the point he made about the if his bassist was good he could add all the others players and it would be fine. You don't hear many musicians on his level single out the bass player as the glue to the band.

6. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung Humankind: be both. Gold Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    In part...IMHO...because there aren't many musicians who are 'on his level'...which is especially remarkable in light of the level to which he sunk! He's been a hero of mine since "Guitar Town", and remains on the short list of musicians with whom I'd love to share a...........plate of spaghetti...in large part, because he's the kind of guy who would point to Kelly Looney as the glue that holds his band together...:)

bassbully likes this.
  7. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    I would wager that the majority of artists with long careers would likely say the same thing.

8. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    About their bass players...really? I would think they would speak about guitar players first. Still cool to hear somebody speaking out about their bass players.

9. billgwx

billgwx

Apr 10, 2009
    Centereach NY
    Man that's great to hear Steve say that about Kelley. Having a good wingman is everything! Really dig his playing, especially on "El Corazon" which remains my favorite Steve Earle record, also "Transcendental Blues", and have counted him as an influence ever since hearing those records. He recently released a record of his own, Black Sheep Blues, which you can hear at: http://kelleylooney.bandcamp.com/

10. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Hey all, I've recently "discovered" Steve Earle. Can you guys point me to more of his acoustic, mellow folksy tunes like Ft. Worth Blues, Goodbye, Ellis Unit One, and Christmas in Washington? I can't get enough!

11. the harp unstrung

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    The first record he made after sinking to the depths noted earlier is one called "Train A'Comin'"...a bluegrass album, really. Emmy Lou Harris guests. Apparently, she was the only person in Nashville willing to take the risk. I love "Corazon" and (especially) "Townes"...the latter is a record of songs written by Townes Van Zant. Steve named his son after Townes...a very close, long time friend whom he admired greatly... My favorite Steve Earle quote: " "Townes Van Zant is America's greatest songwriter...and I'll stand up on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and tell him so!"

12. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Those songs are on earlier albums. I cant remember the name now but go back some and they are there. Steve is a great writer and performer, he's out there on some of his political views but still one of my #1 artists to this day.

47th Street likes this.
  13. AntiTreble

AntiTreble

Jun 24, 2012
    This is probably what he meant about his boy Looney:

14. pnchad

pnchad

Nov 3, 2005
    Oh yeah, about their bassists

Name the (quality) artist and check - one of the most consistent chairs in their bands are their bass players - it's addictive

It's also because we control so much - the anchor of the harmony and a dependable groove
    If the bassist is a regular, a new drummer will defer

TyBo likes this.
  15. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Who boy that's an oldie looks like Steves druggin days.

16. TyBo

TyBo

Dec 12, 2014
    Mike Visceglia with Suzanne Vega ... :bassist:

47th Street likes this.
  17. the harp unstrung

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    Garry Tallent of The E Street Band!... Graham Maby of Joe Jackson's band! ...Bee Spears has been Willie Nelson's bassist for almost 50 years! The list goes on and on. +++ to pnchad for making a really important, and easily quantifiable point. Let's give some more credit where it's due...to both the front man, and the bassist.

18. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN

19. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I feel alright is the one

47th Street likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 7, 2021