Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steve expect boston to buy your cds!!!!

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by chris griffiths, Dec 5, 2002.

1. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger
    Steve. I was in my bass styles class today and my friend Jeremy did an excellent presentation on you. there was about 40 people in the class. if I were you I'd Expect to sell about 38 copies of Not Dancing for chicken. Jeremy and I have copies. Great stuff. They were really impressed and asking when your coming to boston

so when are you?

Oh and while I'm asking questions. When you loop real time like that. once you get something going do you game plan? or do you just kinda respond to what your listening to? I know when I'm playing and things get setup with the band over top of me if there's a lot of harmonic sequence i like to have a little bit of a strategy but if it's like an open kinda form I like to just go where the music takes me.
    any strategies?
    and if so can you explain them to help some of us Yank bassists? :)

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Chris,

I'm really glad to hear that it was so well received - Jeremy had emailed me about doing the presentation, and I'm very flattered to have been featured (and very appologetic at having been too slow at getting a CD to Jeremy of my other playing, something I promised to do but didn't get round to due to my crazy gig schedule of the last couple of months...)

I look forward to lots of orders from Bostonians! :)

As for coming and playing there - I'd love to. I'd be happy to come and play at the college and do a gig or 10 in the area too... Email me, or get someone from the college to email me, and we'll see if we can sort something out...

For some of the tunes there's a definite written part - tunes like MMFSOG, Danny and Mo, The Inner Game... on MMFSOG, there's still a random element in that I've no idea what the backwards stuff is going to sound like til it comes back at me! :)

for others, it really is just play and react - need you now, no such thing as an evil face and ubuntu on the new CD are certainly cases of that, where I just started playing, and let it go wherever it wanted to... ;)

Same goes for when I'm playing with other musicians - often it'll just be a shape or a sound, or even a couple of notes with a certain phrasing... then see what the other do... other times it's more structured...

Last night, I was playing, and was doing Highway 1 from the new CD, and had three guys come and join in who didn't know the tune, so for them it was an improv. Sounded great, hopefully I'll have an MP3 of it before long... :D

thanks for your support and for encouraging your friends to buy my CDs!

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk