Steve Harris custom flatwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Geezerman, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Wow...they kill my fingers :bawl:

Practiced for four hours today in a band situation, and my fingers are killing me and they feel 'sticky', is that normal for flatwounds? This is my first flatwound experience btw.

What does everyone think?
  2. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    You picked the stiffest flats on the market. Yes some flats are a little sticky until they wear in. They probably pulled your neck down too. Try D'Addario Chromes, TI Jazz Flats, or GHS Flats. Rotos and Fenders are stiff especially if you are new to flats.
  3. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I've only tried 3 kinds. S.H. spurned me into trying them in the 1st place. First was a set of Carvin (don't know who makes them) flats that I put on the same time as I put a SD 1/4'er on my p bass. What a difference. Both the flats and the new pup. Quiet as far as finger noise, etc..A year or so later I tried D'Addario chrome flats just to try something different. Much more coarse and stiffer. I liked the Carvins much better. Less tension and very slick even after the year+ of having them on.
    I use Labella tapewounds on my fretless and me thinks he'll keep it that way.
  4. Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Meh it's a shame to waste them, but ouch, after 4 hours yesterday and 3 today, i have a large blood blister under the callous on my middle finger.
  5. Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Well my E string broke tonight, first song in the set. Ugh, my other bass was setup in drop D so I was screwed for about 5 minutes. I will look for a bur on the bridge, it broke right after the saddle, I think it might be my hard playing. Will try D'Addario Chromes or the Cravin flats next, I just wondering how flats break after a bit more than a month.