1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

STEVE HARRIS: I met him and his tech guy

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Global Citizen, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Global Citizen

Global Citizen

May 6, 2010
    CANADA
    Great honor to have met my main inspiration.

I was very surprised to see what he is using with British Lion on this tour. He is using his signature basses made in Mexico. His tech guy says there isn't much difference. He still set them up with his signature rotosound flats. He has two orange guitar cabs which are loaded with EV speakers (for guitar) and two orange bass heads... He is actually a little shorter than I expected. A little surprising but a true road warrior and a great guy! Impressive at 62.

2. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Very cool! I saw he helped design the new Orange 4 stoke amps, so I'm sure that's what he's using .

Global Citizen likes this.
  3. Artists using their signature bass is a surprise?

The one that would surprise me is if Nita Strauss is really using the Edge Zero II bridge on her own performing guitars.
    I can't see how it would stand up to the abuse she gives the vibrato arm, but that's what they're installing on her signature model.

4. Not surprised about his signature bass origin.
    Wait a bit and all Fender series production will be made in Mexico...It's becoming basically the same with cheaper employee salaries.

led4thehed2 likes this.
  5. Castrinato

Castrinato

May 3, 2018
    I’m digging the red bass he’s playing here but I guess he’s back to his Sig for British Lion gigs

Attached Files:

Herrick and ScotRFM like this.
  6. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    Why wouldn’t he be playing his signature basses? That comes as a surprise to you that he’s playing them?

7. His sigs are only used as backups I believe. His number one is the same bass that was blue and was black before that, IIRC.

8. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    I’ve seen plenty of shows on YouTube with him playing his sigs

9. Great. I didn’t say he never used them but his number one is still his old early 70’s P.

10. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    His signature flats are the only flats I use, I can highly recommend them.

smartinson likes this.
  11. Global Citizen

Global Citizen

May 6, 2010
    CANADA
    Let me clarify, I wouldnt think that he'd use the same signature model shop you'd find in store... made in mexico... maybe Japan bit I would have assumed cs fender. Just surprised to hear the tech mention that there isnt much difference.

Son of Wobble likes this.
  12. RNG1

RNG1

Mar 1, 2015
    I’m more surprised about the flats frankly

13. That would have been so cool to meet Steve!
    I wonder if he uses Orange cabs because he loves OJ so much ... :)

14. Global Citizen

Global Citizen

May 6, 2010
    CANADA
    And he sounded as bright and clanky as ever. Imagine if he didn't use flats...

15. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    He is a very patriotic guy. Probably because they are British and still making something he likes.

Son of Wobble likes this.
  16. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I'm not surprised at all about him using his gear. From what I can tell, he is very straightforward and likes to keep things simple. He has played the same bass (literally the same bass with different paint) for decades. He isn't into change or fancy gear.
    He is the guy that got me into bass. I'm not easily star struck but I'm sure I'd make an @$$ of myself if I met him or Geezer Butler. There isn't a way to tell someone how much their playing and music has meant to without getting awkward.

17. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    For this reason alone I was surprised that he was using the current MIM basses on this tour. But who knows what his itinerary is, and if he likes the signature basses well enough, then this makes things even more simple, as you say, for Steve's tech can source a double on short order, and not have to worry about calamities such as Steve's #1 going missing. In fact, at the MIM price point, Steve can afford to hand them out to the audience last gig of the tour like Dee Dee Ramone did on more than one occasion.

socialleper likes this.
  18. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Best way to meet Geezer woulda been at that Death Valley bar punch up a couple years ago, when he took on some obnoxious racist.
    Coulda sided with him and subsequently shared his cell for the night. Always best to meet yer heroes on such equal footing.

PS - canyon country, wahey, me backyard!

danesdad and socialleper like this.
  19. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    When you see musicians using their signature bass or guitar, the main #1 is usually the custom shop version from that company.Steve Harris uses the Mexico versions but his the actual one he using is most likely the CS version.

20. Signalsdrone

Signalsdrone

Feb 6, 2017
    SW Ontario
    I was at their Waterloo show. I knew he played fast but holy cow, seeing him play live and close up you get an appreciation on how fast his fingers are moving. As for being short, it was a bit deceiving with him on stage. At first, I thought he was normal height and that his guitar players were twin mutants.

I was glad to see Coney Hatch as well and they really rocked the place. I remember seeing their videos on the Pepsi Power Hour back in the day. Great Canadian band!