1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Steve Harris: Isolated bass track to "The Trooper" (1981)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by A.K., Jun 21, 2014.

1. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Sloppy at times, but who cares?

2. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Actually, this is 1983.

3. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    Well it would be difficult to play that all the way through and not have a note or two slop somehow.

Mike Sorr likes this.
  4. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    Steve has one of those tones that's best described as utterly present. About 90-97% of the time, you can hear him very clearly. Part of it might be that the guitars aren't as thick as in much of metal, so there's more room for his bass.

5. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I've found on a lot of isolated tracks you hear more slop than you expect that you don't hear with the rest of the band.

Mike Sorr likes this.
  6. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Always loved Steve and his style, endless practice to get that gallop and low and behold this sounds like poopie. Pretty bright and thin for flats

joebar likes this.
  7. dukeandrews

dukeandrews

Jan 24, 2014
    it's funny. when you hear these guys live it is epic. this makes me feel better about my own playing.

joebar likes this.
  8. TinyE

TinyE

Jan 31, 2013
    portland,or
    I swear I hear 4 or maybe even 5 notes in each "gallop". Is he using his thumb?

9. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Cool, that's one of Maiden's classics.

The isolated bass is way brighter than I would have imagined based on what it sounds like in the mix.

10. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Really ? I always felt I couldn't hear him clearly enough. I always wanted more bottom end from maiden metallica g-n-r crue

11. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    The low end in metal ideally comes more from the kick drum than from the guitar or bass, at least in my experience.

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  12. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    Well, I like Maiden, I like Bomber Harris, but that was not what I was expecting.

13. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    His right hand is inspiring.

beebassdude likes this.
  14. ggoat!!!

ggoat!!! Banned

Apr 6, 2008
    Lousy-Anna
    There, I fixed it for you.

:woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:

15. Reason he sounds so bright, he changes his strings very often

16. Geraltino

Geraltino

Apr 2, 2013
    Finland
    A lot of that brightness gets buried in the mix, I suppose. The bass usually sounds noticeably different in the mix than what it sounds like isolated. Have noticed that while listening to my isolated playing in my demo songs, for example. And listening to these isolated bass tracks too.

17. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    from all the interviews I have read, it seems that harris isn't a gear hound-his tone isn't all that great; its his right hand that defines his sound.
    still, this isn't that tight and clean IMO.

and for the record-
    harris is the reason I play bass

MovingPitchers and thebreakman like this.
  18. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Its metal, Its not suppose to be clean and polished. Sounds good to me.

DwaynieAD likes this.
  19. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    Awesome.

DwaynieAD likes this.
  20. Mike Sorr

Mike Sorr “...play I some music...” Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Brick, NJ
    Anyone that has seen 'Arry play live knows that he jumps around like an athlete and is constantly moving. It is impossible to play very clean live when you're also putting on a show and running from one side of the stage to the other and jumping over and off of stuff. This is why pop singers like J. Lo, Brittny, et al. whose live performance is all show, lip synch when they appear in front of an audience. There is no way they can do all those choreographed dance gymnastics and still belt out perfect vocals. At least rock musicians actually play live. If you want a live show that sounds like the recording, go see Beyoncé

wintremute and DwaynieAD like this.