Steve Harris' "Mistery Bass" Anyone know what it was?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Rattanee, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Rattanee

Rattanee

Oct 31, 2017
    EU, Hungary
    So it occurrs to me that google is getting worse by the day really and is now rarely of help. I'm kinda sorta starting a small collection of 80's basses, and the Ibanez I'm about to buy right now made me remember something...
    I used to have a VHS copy of the 12 Wasted Years Iron Maiden documentary, and on that tape, there is a concert video of them playing (if I am not mistaken) Stranger in a Strange land, where harris is not using his Precision Bass! Mind you this was some years ago that I last watched it and I have no VHS hooked up to double check (and I have no friggin idea which box in the attic contains said tape anyways), but from what I remember it was a bass the same blue colour his Precision used to be, except with dual J pickups, and matching, non-fender shaped headstock. The PUs had no visible metal poles, were solid black like EMG's, though I don1t remember seeing a logo on them. I als remember I was not able to make out what bass that was, but I've always been curious... does anyone know?

Cheers folks!

PS: I hope I didn't hallucinate this in some drunken stupor of my teenage days :D

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  2. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    In the Stranger In A Strange Land video he's playing his Precision bass. He did play Lado basses in the '80s as well. Google them for images!

Rattanee likes this.
  3. Rattanee

Rattanee

Oct 31, 2017
    EU, Hungary
    Ha! Spot on! I'd love to get my hands on one of these suckers... they look interesting! Much easier to google now that I have a name :D

4. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Check out this video

Rattanee likes this.
  5. Rattanee

Rattanee

Oct 31, 2017
    EU, Hungary
    Good stuff right there! I've no idea why I remembered the Lado bass he used in that vid (which was another song then, but I can't recall which, I just know I saw it on that tape) having two J pups though. Still, that's the one. I'd love to get my hands on one even just to try it. I'm buying at an Ibanez X Series Destroyer (because 80's Ibanez looks and sounds kickass!:) and I guess the explorer knockoff shape reminded me of that bass.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022