Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steve Harris or Geezer Butler?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by D.J, Sep 13, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D.J

D.J

Jan 31, 2000
    Hi guys! Who is better and why?

2. glover

glover

Jul 3, 2000
    Impossible to answer that question ´cause Geezer and Steve Harris are very different. They are two of my biggest influences, and I have listened a LOT on both Sabbath and Maiden over the years.

Geezer is more of a jamming bassist in the tradition of Jack Bruce and John Entwisle. Listen to the first six Sabbath albums, i´ts safe to say that those guys grew up on Cream, Who, Jefferson Airplane and stuff like that! Very bluesy and groovy with a heavy and distorted basstone. (I have written an analysis on his style on my very under construction site: http://www.informatik.umu.se/~friv0010/70srockbass)

Steve, on the other hand, is real tight with a great technical skill. He is driving the songs ahead very hard and is obviously more of a "planning" musician than Geezer. The songs are strictly arranged and the bassparts all sound like they are written instead of improvused like those of Geezer.

They are booth incredible bassists and songwriters. But, in my mind Steve Harris is a bit more unique.

3. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    geez is a jazzier style. steve is metal.

4. Tom14454

Tom14454

Feb 5, 2000
    As a huge fan of both, I'd have to say Geezer leans more towards a groove and Steve is more of a "teamplayer" (following the guitar). For a real tough comparison, John Paul Jones vs. Geezer Butler.

5. glover

glover

Jul 3, 2000
    That´s a tough one! I´d say that JPJ is/was a more clever musician than Geezer. He worked as a studio musician in the UK during the sixities before Zeppelin were put together. He also played keyboards on Their Satanic Majesties Reques by the Stones and some other things.
    I guess Geezer couldn´t have done the Motown like solos on Lemon song. But, on the other hand, would JPJ have been able to write tunes like Electric Funeral and Into the Void? I don´t think so!

6. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I wont use the word "better" but i prefer Geezer's style. Geezer used all sorts of riffs, jams, timings, tempos, dynamics, and had that killer hi-mid bouncy sound. Steve Harris was more one dimensional, with very few differences from song to song. He's excellent no doubt, but i prefer Geezer's creativity and style more.

7. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I'll just add that I'm a Sabbath fan..and some of the first basslines I ever learned...were Geezer's. :)

8. Geezer Butler IMHO is better. I've never really listened to Iron Maiden before. I've heard a lot about the galloping bass lines that makes Steve Harris that damn good.

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hm, comparing oranges and apples again? :D

10. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I'll take oranges any day over apples. Oranges rule!

11. Steve and Geezer are both incredible, however they are too different to compare. My personal favorite however is Steve Harris.

12. SBX1

SBX1

Apr 7, 2000
    Steve Rules !!! :D
    He's a great bassist, with a incredible carism !

13. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    "carism" uhh....like, whats that 'n stuff?

14. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i do believe he meant charisma :D

15. SBX1

SBX1

Apr 7, 2000
    Sorry !! :eek:

I wanted to write charisma !! :p

16. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    oh, i thought you might have been making up some new liberal word.

17. Geezer Butler is the reason I picked up a Bass at the tender age of 13, I'd agree with those who say he's closer to Jack Bruce in style, I've read that Cream were a huge influence upon him. Jack Bruce is the reason I kept playing Bass ! I've heard quite a bit of Iron Maiden but to be honest I couldn't say that Steve's bass lines stand out in the way Geezer's and Jack Bruce's do. Si I don't see Harris as being more unique.
    Stu

18. Hary

Hary Guest

Sep 19, 2000
    Hungary, Veszprém
    First I have to say, thet I don't really like Iron Maiden, so my choice can be partial.
    I think Geezer is better, and Sabbath is better too.
    They have so good songs with great bass-playing!

19. dbieon12

dbieon12

Aug 8, 2007
    Being a fan of both Sabbath and Maiden, I find it difficult to decide which is 'better' especially since their styles differ greatly.

Something you should note is that Geezer began as a guitarist, particularly a rhythm guitarist. Keeping that in mind, he switched to bass to satisfy Tony Iommi's demands. Since he never played bass before, his style was not standard for a bass player. I believe that Geezer defined bass and also redefined bass and what exactly it is there for. Another thing that you should note is that the bands eras were separate, Sabbath being in the 70's and Maiden primarily in the 80's. The time lapse contributes to the differing styles and techniques which makes this decision hard.

Personally, I prefer Geezer Butler but they are both very respectable bass players.

20. Personally, I'll take Geezer. I just like what he plays better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.