1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Steve Harris question?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by machine gewehr, Apr 27, 2006.

1. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    One of the things I like about Harris' playing is even in the first album he goes to high notes and blows away 2-3 second soloish stuff.He used to do that a lot but in the latest albums he doesn't do that.What could be the reason?

2. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    Bruce wasn't going to rejoin the band unless the sound changed.

3. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    No way!!!:eek: So thats never going to happen again?Its sad to hear...But you can't make a choice between Bruce and the sound can you,he's special for sure.

4. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Have you ever thought that is because he simply doesnt want to do? Sonds cool yeah, but he could get tired of doing this too much.

5. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada

in an interview I read along time ago before dance of death, Bruce was going on about modernizing the sound and less galoping basslines etc. should be interesting to see what the next album has in store.

6. Man, that's interesting. I mean, Harry always stuck to his guns when it came to calling the shots for Maiden, so that's quite a compromise.

Another strange tidbit was that Nicko (IIRC), prior to their release of "Brave New World," was proudly mentioning the band's sticking to their guns, too.

7. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    yeah harris always has been maiden, but Adrian wasn't going to come back if Bruce didn't so I guess he comromised, theres still some pretty rocking basslines on DOD, but you can tell its a little toned down.

8. thats nutty i never knew that

9. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    not some kinad of crazy change, but yeah, he wasn't goign to come back unless some thigns were changed.

I tried to find the interveiw but I couldn't, read it on Ironmaiden.com a couple years back

10. Because he's trying to write all the possible combinations using C-D and E :D :D :D
    -----------------------------
    -7--7-7----3--3-3---5--5-5--

Maybe it's easier to remember his new lines :D :D :D :D

OK just joking. Being a die-hard maiden and especially Harris fan, I'd say he does play this way now, because he wants to play this way. Can you say they are bad bass lines? Can you say those are bad songs? Me I admire them all, both old and new ones. Sorry, I can't be objective when the subject is Maiden. And can you say that this is a wrong way they've done? Yes the first two albums are great but if they've continued the sound of their first albums, we wouldn't have such legendary (at least for me) albums like Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son. So their music changed along the way as Steve's playing and choices of bass lines.

AFAIK Steve is a nice person but when the subject is his music, he wouldn't accept anything about Maiden as long as he doesn't want to do it. Of course those are just opinions. And I believe nobody will ever know what really happened when Blaze has left (or kicked) and Bruce and H returned to Maiden. They don't talk much about it and all the other thing you hear are not facts but some tales. I wouldn't believe a word which is not coming from the boys and Rod Smallwood.

11. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Anything from Maiden is great and legendary "I" think!! :bassist: These lines I'm talking about are not only in the first two albums,in every album until Brave New World and thats when Arry's tone definately changed.

12. new maiden will never be as good as powerslave somewhere in time and seventh son of a seventh son