Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steve Harris Sig P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boomfunk, Dec 29, 2005.

1. boomfunk

boomfunk

Jun 6, 2005
    :bassist: Im in Australia and i've heard these babies are hard enough to come by in the rest of the world. Any ideas on where to find one

2. They are hard to find. The last time I saw one was two years ago. It was displayed in a magazine add for 888 € (Germany). I doubt Fender still makes any of those basses seeing as it's not on their website.

I doubt you'll ever find one :(.

3. steve21

steve21 Banned

I'd say your best bet would be to buy an Agile LPB Precision with a maple neck and trick it out, but you're in Australia... don't know how to help.

Harris sigs are pretty rare, sadly.

4. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Best option tbh is to have Nino build you one to spec, they're rare indeed. Shipping it from America to you would be ouch though :(.

5. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    I'd love one too mate.. if only I picked one up when they were a current line... UP THE IRONS!

6. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    There's so much demand for them. Why doesn't Fender bring 'em back? :(

Graeme

7. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Good point. I read somewhere that Fender pulled production on them after less than one year. I think that model was essentially a japan made Fender P with SD quarterpounders and a red mirror pickguard.

8. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    I saw one for sale a while back for $450 us. It's gone now. I wonder if that was a good deal?

9. steve21

steve21 Banned

Given their rareness + probable 699 retail back when they were around i'd say yes...

Anyone think Fender mighta discontinued it out of scaredness that it mighta rivaled Americans? Cuz there seems sure as hell to be demand for it.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I don't think there's THAT much of a demand. But if there is, why would they sell an import bass for less than an American with an upgraded pickup and just as good quality?

I think Fender lost way too much money on the Americans when they came out.

11. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    These sell used for about 1000 dollars now. Their value can only go up......

12. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    So build your own, Pbass ('course his was bound) 1/4 lb'ers, ba bridge and flatwounds. That's what I did and I like it.

13. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Maiden is my all time fave band, but the Harris sig model played like crap to me. it felt very cheap.

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Really? It was one of the best playing basses I ever touched by Fender.

15. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    here is my fat arse playing my fender steve harris bass. i replaced the SD1/4 with and EMG-P. oddly, the bass is not really maiden sounding, more a P-bass with muscle. it would actually be really good for motown.

i originally tried the bass with the SD and roto77s, never really sounded maiden. it's actually easier to do the maiden sound with my jazz bass or a p/j bass is even better, you get the "click" easier. i put in the EMG and roto66s and never looked back.

doing the maiden tone has to do with his finger technique mostly. plus steve harris plays thru 12"s.

i love my bass, it's currently my back-up it's hella hot with that EMG in it. the bass is solid and well made. not the best fret work, a little rough.

i pulled the trigger on the "big block" p-bass. i'll see how that fits in my stable of basses when it gets here.

mm

16. truckin88

truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    Mark Hoppus bass....Mike Dirnt Bass....geddy lee bass....the list goes on