1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Steve Harris Sig P-Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thrillhouse, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    So I was checking out Fender's site, looking at the crazy (in a good way) 6-string Steve Bailey jazz, and noticed how they listed a Steve Harris Signature P-Bass as a new for '09 model.

http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0252602350

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they already make a Steve sig bass a few years back? And if so, what's the big difference between that one and this new one? Also, has anyone played one/heard anything about it (new or old). I'm very curious to hear any info on it...

2. Sleeq

Sleeq

Feb 13, 2008
    Lebanon/Kuwait
    This is an updated version.

Differences:

1) New finish
    2) New pickups (SB1 as opposed to SB3)
    3) New pickguard
    4) signature moved to back of headstock and no more Iron Maiden logo.

3. Jason Brown

Jason Brown

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    The new one is also made of alder, whereas the first one was basswood.

4. Thrillhouse

Jan 21, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Well I took a trip over to Chicago Music Exchange today and they did indeed have the new Steve Harris sig. I must say, it plays, sounds and feels great. I played it against some vintage P's and new ones. I liked the feel/tone of it more than the new American Standards. However, against some of the '50s and '60s P's, there was no comparison. The vintage P's were really awesome. As a stand alone P-bass, the Steve Harris sig is really a great P. The price though...$1399.99...not too sure I think it's worth that. Although if it had been released before Fender's price hike (I'm thinking the price would have been about $300ish less), I would have said go for it.

5. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    dammit... :scowl:

Why does this bass get so many good reviews?

It's hard enough keeping GAS under control. :meh: :help:

I'm a Steve Harris fan, and I admit I just want it as a collectors item. But when hearing it sounds and plays so good, there is not much reason not to get it.

Plus that bass looks killer. :)

6. jmcy2k

jmcy2k

Jan 23, 2008
    NYC
    Thrillhouse,

I bought a SHPB a couple months ago and agree, I loved the look/feel/tone of it much more than the new American Standards. While I wouldn't compare it to a vintage 60s P, it seems like a terrific relative value to me (paid $1199) compared to other basses in the price range. Only the fact that it's MIJ gave me pause with regards to price, but I love it. Btw, iirc it's already been 7-8 years since the prior Harris sig was introduced. Time flies.

C'thulhu, just do it! lol

7. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    I don't like you. :spit:
    (edit: okay, I like you ;))

Maybe I go down to my local store tomorrow and order one. :)

I was thinking of buying an extra fretted P-bass anyway.
    I also had my eye on a MIM and a Squier Classic Vibe 60s.
    GAS :help:

8. jmcy2k

jmcy2k

Jan 23, 2008
    NYC
    Or buy the black fretless TF? ;-P

It's a damned good thing I only get bass GAS when signature models arrive. I'd love an MTD bass, but can't justify $4,000++ ...

9. buzzguy

buzzguy

Mar 8, 2009
    Winnipeg
    I seem to remember the first Steve Harris P-bass being cheaper...hmmm...

10. jmcy2k

jmcy2k

Jan 23, 2008
    NYC
    buzz, all Fenders were cheaper last year not to mention 7-8 years ago, sign of the times. Two very different basses, to boot.

11. buzzguy

buzzguy

Mar 8, 2009
    Winnipeg
    I would think that bass prices would be going down...but yeah, I have noticed some more expensive than they used to be. Kind of a bummer, since many of us have less money now!

12. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    I'm getting paranoid. :D

edit: oh yeah, now I know who you are, I talked to you in the previous Steve Harris sig thread. ;)

Maybe I showed off my TF a bit too many around here. :ninja:

;)

Time to buy a new bass maybe? Before I am that bore with the TF. :meh: :D

Yeah. :meh:

I had a hard time justifying the 1700€ for the TF. But now that I own it for a couple of months, it's well worth the money.

Good thing I only have GAS for Precision basses. Also it's a weird fetish. :)

13. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
  14. jmcy2k

jmcy2k

Jan 23, 2008
    NYC
    No need to be paranoid, I'm the poster with three TF's, you had mentioned considering the black TF.

Other then the MTD basses, I only have GAS for Precision basses as well. And perhaps an SWR SM-1500. Dammit.

15. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Screw the TF, check this out
    [​IMG]

those pictures are glorious

and yeah, the Steve Harris Sig is so overpriced. :(

Someone is trying to sell an older model on ebay right now for the same price as a new model...in mint condition. Stupid

16. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Yeah, you have an amazing (little) collection of basses. :)

I never tried an MTD. My local store has a 5-string Kingston. I'll try it out next time.

I already own the best bass suited for me... so if I'm wise I'll put off buying new basses. If I'm wise. ;)

At this point I'll better invest in amplification because that is the weakest link in my gear now.
    Having an amazing bass is one thing, but you need an amp to complement it. :)

17. jmcy2k

jmcy2k

Jan 23, 2008
    NYC
    I don't know what you're using now for amplification, but you're on target about needing a rig to complement the bass. I use Ampeg (6PRO + 810E) to shake buildings.

18. countshockula

countshockula

Feb 22, 2008
    "Harris has stayed true to his battle-hardened Fender Precision Bass guitar over the years, and Fender now honors him with the Artist Signature Series Steve Harris Precision Bass."---from fender's website.

Funny, 'cause he's clearly playing an Ibanez in the "run to the hills" video

19. Thrillhouse

Jan 21, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Ya, but he really has stuck with the P for pretty much all of his career. Also, the P is certainly what he is always associated with.