Steve Harris strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mata Leao, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Mata Leao

Mata Leao

Dec 21, 2017
    20171230_161606.jpg I admit I purchased these mainly because Steve Harris is on the package, but I also wanted to give flat-wound strings a try. They are smooth.

BrentSimons likes this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Hey Welcome to TalkBass!!!!

What metal is on the outside of those strings? How about tension? Do they feel tighter than you last set of rounds?

3. Mata Leao

Mata Leao

Dec 21, 2017
    Haven't played much with them yet.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Ah. What does the package say about what they are made of?

Hope you enjoy them.

5. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    FWIW, The Roto Steve Harris set are the highest tension flats I've ever used.

BrentSimons and two fingers like this.
  6. Mata Leao

Mata Leao

Dec 21, 2017
    Nickel steel, heavy gauge.

7. Mata Leao

Mata Leao

Dec 21, 2017
    So I'm real new. What advantage or disadvantage is high tension?

8. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Monel is a Nickel-Copper alloy. I'm sure I wouldn't like these strings.

Monel is widely used when dealing with caustic chemicals, as it's very corrosion resistant.
    I used to buy & sell valves & piping made out of it & it's not cheap or widely stocked.

These little 1/4" Monel needle valves are around $100/ea.:

monel-400-needle-valve-250x250.jpg

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  9. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Yes I read this on Wikipedia earlier today ;)

10. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Advantage: string is high tension, which you may like because it doesn’t move around a bunch when you hit it.

Disadvantage: string is high tension, which you may dislike because you have to hit it a lot harder to get it to sound the way you want it.

There’s no real benefit or disbenefit. Just whether or not you like it.

Mata Leao likes this.
  11. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I lived it :smug:
    Monel can be heavier than Bronze, so taking a delivery of large Monel valves was a feat.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  12. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    It also puts more stress on the neck and will likely require a truss rod adjustment.

13. I just ordered a set of these, as I'm always trying different strings. I've been using a set of chromes on a certain P bass that just has a killer sound. I play tuned down a half step with this bass, so I thought I'd try a set of heavier gauge flats to see how the tension and sound compares to the chromes.

I like the fact they seem to be very slick and have a brighter sound (based on what I remember from Harris' sound he gets.

I've not tried Rotosound flats, so this will be a new experience for me.

Does anyone have anything to add regarding these strings?

14. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada
    Monel 400. It's 67% pure nickel, ~ 23% copper and other good stuff. Great material.

15. HOOLIGAN

HOOLIGAN

Dec 21, 2007
    Cowtown, USA
    I love these strings, they stay bright a long time, they were my introduction to flats and a good choice for those not sure if they’d like the change from rounds.
    I like the super-smooth feel and the high tension.
    They have a great “clank” to them you wouldn’t expect from flats.

16. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    Those strings sounds great. Just make sure your neck is adjusted properly for them.

17. Mata Leao

Mata Leao

Dec 21, 2017
    I went back to the roundwounds, they have a bit more friction that I like.

18. Kikegg

Kikegg

Mar 3, 2011
    Madrid, Spain
    I'm using the regular "Jazz Bass 77" model for the first time. Very good strings. My usual strings are D'Addarios EXL roundwound and these Rotosound sound better IMO.

I've only noticed that output is a bit weaker (not a bad thing) than with the EXLs on the same bass. With the EXL while practicing at home (headphones) I had to turn volume down to play along my MP3s. If not, I was louder than the music. With the Rotosounds I have to turn volume full open.

May this variation be caused by string's alloy?

BrentSimons likes this.
  19. Kenova

Kenova

May 5, 2010
    Zagreb (Croatia)
    These strings are very high tension, beautiful sound when new but they age badly, they lose presence and just go dead unlike other flats which are better with age. And they are very low output strings, great with fingerstyle bad for pick.

20. basseux

basseux

Jan 10, 2010
    I mounted them a few days ago on my precision and I think it's the major key the Steve Harris sound.

Then you have to adjust the relief of the neck back and lower the action because of the higher tension.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022