Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steve Harris

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by gnusw, Apr 6, 2001.

1. Isn't strange that no one remember Steve Harris of Iron Maiden.I think that this guy really kicks ass. Hey do you remember bass line in 'Stranger in a strange land' in guitar solo part or damn hard line in 'Phantom of the opera'???
    All in all he has the style...hard thing to workout dont you think???

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Steve Harris is the primary reason I picked up a bass. When I first heard Iron Maiden, I realized that bass in rock does not have to suck and be buried in the background. Long live Steve Harris!!!!

3. hey Blisshead ... it's amazing but Steve is the same person for me like for you...he made my bass life.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Cool. it was like some type of miracle for me when I heard him play for the first time, opened up my mind to the possibilities, the potential of the bass!

5. Joe R

Joe R

Nov 4, 2000
    Wenatchee WA. USA
    To me Steve Harris is why i listen to Iron Maiden And play Bass, The man writes all the songs produces and directs there vids & CD's, He is the man, Plus ive never seen anybody else since maybe Cliff play fingers so fast in metal music Steve Harris Rules!

6. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    King Diamond's current bassist is a finger player. He used to play for Chastain's CJSS project. The guy was awesome live.

And yes, Steve is great. :D

7. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Hey, I talk about Steve Harris like ... all the time ;)
    He's why I play bass (though now I am a lot less in metal but you can't forget your roots).
    In a "best drum/bass" thread, I said Steve and Nicko McBrain were one of my favorite rythm sections.
    A lot of his lines are, at the same time, powerfull, melodic and very suportive ("rythmly" talking).
    His speed and endurance are amazing but he doesn't show off.
    And he seems to be a very nice guy.
    And he composed/wrote a lot of Maiden's stuff.
    I love that guy.
    I grew up with him.

8. Around December Steve seemed to be talked about in here like on a daily basis. He is one of my all-time favs. Practicing his fast lines with fingers are what really got my speed boosted. So now I can play reaaaal fast :)

9. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    anyone heard Steve's acoustic-bass intro to "Blood on the World's Hands"?? god that's amazing stuff .. and he plays it like, 100x faster live.
    cool phrasing, too :D

10. Steve Harris is quickly becoming one of my favorite bassists.

I spent a total of about two hours learning "The Trooper" today, one hour on guitar and one on bass. My palm-muting skills have greatly increased on guitar, and I can play fingerstyle bass a whole hell of a lot faster because of all those triplets.