Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steve Harris

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by CROZ, Sep 5, 2000.

1. Steve Harris and Iron Maiden rock. I know he only uses one chord progression, but his right hand is deadly. He must be the fastest gallopin' pedaler ever.
    The lyrics he writes for the I.M. songs are pretty funny, too. He rewrites history and changes fiction like the disney company does to stories.
    What do you think?

2. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    steve's left hand is as deadly as his right. i learned most of the prisoner (with a pick :( since my plucking is nowhere near up to par) last nite and was pretty happy about it. his runs are chilling.

3. I don't think his left hand is that deadly. Maybe like a sharp stick but not a machine gun. He plays mostly boxes.

Some people have tried to tell me he uses three fingers to pluck but I've watched him play and he only uses two.
    He is going to have some massive carpal tunnel, though.

On some of the newer stuff I have seen him play with a pick. Bad song title to play in Alabama: "The Clansmen"

4. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    a piCK? hmmmm..i would have to see it myself to believe it.

and steve doesn;t use 2 from what I have seen close-up, more like 4. but whatever, I'm not gonna argue about it.

5. ka-tet

ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    I've seen Steve play many times and have read articles saying he only uses two fingers. All of his fingers are pointed down as if he were going to use them all but he he doesn't. Most players who use their index and middle fingers will usually curl their ring and pinky fingers under a little. Steve just lets his dangle straight down giving the illusion that he is using them all.

6. I've seen Steve Harris play a few times. He is a really great bassist. Great songwriting abilities too.
    I've never seen him play with a pick though, not even the new stuff (last time I saw him play was 2,5 month ago at the Dynamo festival), he just uses his fingers.

7. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Being a huge Steve Harris fan, his technique was one of the first for me to pick up on in the early 80's. I've read many articles on him and his style. He definetly uses two fingers with the occasional ring finger thrown in, simultaneously with the middle. Because of his galloping style and the natural tendency for the ring finger to follow the middle, it can easily deceive you into thinking he uses three or more. My style was very similiar to this for years and I was often asked the same questions.

8. I saw him using a pick on...? I forgot the song name. It was off the Virtual whatever album. He was picking right over the fretboard. It was during the non-Bruce era. He might not play that song anymore, live. I didn't buy any of the non-bruce albums so I don't know.
    <p>Dio opened up for Iron Maiden that night. Dio has some awesome, albeit simple, bass on his albums. Just a lot of fat fours to the bar with rests inbetween.
    <p>Whats your favorite I.M. song for the bass? My favorite is "Flight of Icarus". I think the most grueling for the right hand is "The Trooper" especially with how fast they play it live.

9. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    I posted this before that I use the Trooper as a right hand warm-up exercise before I play or practice. I used to enjoy playing Die With Your Boots On, Revelations, Powerslave, and Wasted Years. Haven't played those in awhile though. Last time I did Flight of Icarus was the time we were trying out drummers, about a year ago. It was one of those last songs you do just because most people know it. I actually remembered how it went. I haven't played that one in about 13 years.

11. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I would have to say anything off of Killers. Steve really showed what he was made of on that one IMHO. But every album is a clinic as far as I am concerned.

I learned Prisoner this week and have most of Revelations (minus the runs) down.

12. I was listening to Powerslave and it just reminded me that Steve has a lot of tricks up his sleeve, not just galloping. He does some cool string rakes in Powerslave. <p>
    I love "Iron Maiden" and "Killers" but all thier other studio albums sound kind of weak. I like the live albums a lot better than the studio ones. I wish Steve Harris would have produced their new album. He did their live albums and a record for Carcass that sounds great. The new studio album doesn't sound raw enough, and the cymbals on "Wicker Man" have a wierd flanged, pipey sound. If you listen to the first two albums or see the footage of their early london Marquee footage they were almost a punk band. I think a raw sound suits them much better.
    <p>
    Do you know what kind of gear Steve uses presently. I only have info from 1992 from liner notes. It said he used EV loaded Marshall Cabs, and Trace amps.
    <p>What did he use during "Killers" and "Iron maiden"?

13. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    Man, Steve Harris is the reason I started playing bass. His parts are just so cool and vital to the songs. I think his song writting is great. I spent many an hour trying to figure out Maiden songs and it really pushed my playing. I've never succeeded(I've had tickets on 2 prior occasions and something came up for one and the 2nd show was cancelled) in seening 'em live but have tickets to go see them this Saturday so I'm psyched!

As far as gear here's what I know Fender Precision bass w/ Seymour Duncan vintage pickup and bad ass II bridge, Trace Elliot pre-amps, Some kind of solid state power amp not sure what though, Marshall cabs w/ EV 12's, Rotosound flatwound strings. It all adds up to one killer and distinctive tone.

14. Do you ever, when no one is looking, hold up your bass like a rifle and pretend to shoot people while listening to Iron Maiden?<p>
    I do.

15. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Try listening to the last few without Bruce on vox. Steve produced those and they sound horrible. HORRIBLE.

16. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    Hey.. my band is kinda a mix between Iron maiden and nevermore... heh just thought id say something

17. Yeah, Definitely not a big Blaze fan. I heard "Man on the Edge" and was infinitely disapointed. I didn't know Steve produced those albums; I wasn't interested enough to read the liner notes. I saw Maiden with Blaze only because I never had a chance to before. <p>
    They still need a more "live" sound on thier albums.

18. Well I must admit that I did pretend my bass
    was a rifle on one occasion.

19. STEVE HARRIS RULES!

I just had to say that. Awesome player and songwriter. His playing had a large impact on my style.

20. sgraham

sgraham

Aug 30, 2000
    Tyler, TX
    Yeah, I even wanted to get some black & white vertically-
    striped spandex pants! Anyone ever propped their left leg on the monitor during a gig? I did, when I was younger.

Seriously, though, back in 1981 I bought the "Killers" album because of the cover. The intro to "Wrathchild" blew my little 13-year-old mind and made me want to switch from guitar to bass. I saw Maiden twice in the 80's and watched
    Harris run around the stage and rock. I never saw a bassist
    do that before, unless he was the singer. "To Tame a Land",
    "Rime of the Ancient Mariner", and "Phantom of the Opera"
    helped me get my right hand in shape. Ahh, the memories...