Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steve Harris's Basses...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thunder_Fingers, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    I have noticed that Steve Harris from Iron Maiden's Basses,well, they all(as he use) are Fender P-Basses from 70's/80's, but non of them(at least not his main bass) have anything on the Headstock nwich says its an Fender Precision bass, anybody know if he have removed it, or if he have Made himself an Custom Neck or what? i cant find anything about it on the net... so i hope there is an bigger steve harris fan(should be hard to find really :p) than me who knows this....
    Thanks

edit: after what i have heard about his signature bass, it might be that he have taken an jazz neck on it...

2. I have a sig Harris bass and its very much a P-bass neck.

Also i seen Maiden live a few times and i can tell you it says Fender on the headstock. It may be a bit worn down now though :)

BTW Steve also used to play Ibanez and Lado basses in the 80's

3. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    oh, now im very confused.... i have seen through alot of steve harris pictures with the pre Lake Placid blue/Now White with west Ham Logo, and have zoomed in on the headstock, and it doesnt say a thing on it.... :meh: so the sig neck aint any thinner than an standard P-Bass neck?

4. a few of his fender's have been refinished over the years, it is possible that the headstock was either painted or made to match the refinish on the body..

5. The sig neck is the same yes.

And as gusto brought up his basses have been refinnished several times...he might have had the neck refinnished which wore it down.
    I do remember seeing it somewhat dull however...silver Fender logo may also be hard to see in bright lights...so that probally doesnt help either. :)

6. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    oki, thanks... man i feel stupid now :p well, then i can safely buy an fender 1970 reissue bass for my cover band :p oh.. it used to Be lake placid blue METALLIC right? it doesnt quite look like Lake Placid blue becouse it sparkles a little...(in the LAD booklet called Blue Sparkle...)

7. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    acctually... i cant remember to ever have seen steve with an ibanez bass... you know where there are pics? and i found the black and white one he mainly used on the no prayer for the dying tour have fender on it :p

8. Well here is with one Lado and a pic of the Steve Harris signature Lado "the Unicorn"
    Ill try finding the Ibanez ones after.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    yeah, i know the lado's.. it just, i have never seen the ibanez roadstar bass of his...

10. It's in some music video, Run to the Hills perhaps.

11. sgraham

sgraham

Aug 30, 2000
    Tyler, TX
    I believe you're correct. It is in the "Run to the Hills" video.
    Seeing that video in '82 helped me decide to switch from
    gui**r to bass. Good choice! :bassist:

12. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    alright, thanks people.. guess i kinda got wrong... but after what i have heard about the sig bass of his, and how the headstock on his mainbass look, well... :p

13. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    If this helps, I saw in BassPlayer Magazine recenlty that he is still playing the same 70/71 P Bass, which once was metallic blue. The same damn bass now painted white. Imagine that. Being Steve and playing the same bass for decades without mention of any neck change!

Only a P Bass!

14. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Actually, Harris uses a whole arsenal of what appear to be 70's era P basses that he's had refinished (sometimes) several times. His mods seem to be consistent: Badass Bridge, high output P pickup (Seymour Quarter Pounds as far as I know) and ironically as set of Rotoson flats.

r