Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steve! I just watched the vid on your site!

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Whafrodamus, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    ... I kept on waiting for you to break out into the "Driven" solo :p. Honestly man.. You and Geddy look alike in that video.. Minus the slight nose difference and the height difference :p.. But, I also listened to some of your stuff, and I dig a lot of your grooves! Keep it up man! :cool:

2. I know! It's unreal, when I first went to Steve's sight I was like
    Does Geddy have a twin who changed his last name that he didnt tell us about?! Also, it may be just me, but Michael looks kinda like Kenny G. with a few different face features.
    I hope Steve Harriss (Iron Maidens bass player) doesnt have plastic surgery cause I odnt him looking like Michael Jackson :eyebrow: :D

3. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    :)

I'm still waiting for Geddy to agree to tour with me as my mini-me... :)

Michael as Kenny G???? I dunno, the talent discrepancy masks any possible physical resemblance... even the thought of it would be a slight to Michael's genius... ;)

cheers

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

4. I just downloaded the video too and it's amazing. How do you get those sounds from your bass? And what was the thing you were holding in your hand? It looks like it was something with a blue light on it(it may have been my eyes playing tricks on me but it certainly looked like a glowing blue thing).

5. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Thanks Nick,

the sounds are mostly a mixture of reverb, delay, chorus, pitch-shift, tremelo and some distortion, I think... I haven't watched the vid in a long time, and it's an improv so I can't remember what I played... ;)

The blue light is on my Ebow - it's a little gadget that emits a little magnetic field that makes the string vibrate so you get infinite sustain and a really gentle attack... a lovely sound indeed. Do a search here on TB, there are loads of threads about the EBow...

cheers!

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

6. I thought it might be an Ebow. One of my favourite guitarists(Malcolm Jones of Runrig) uses an Ebow a fair bit. How much do they cost? I think the way you can get this really amazing awe inspiring sound is really cool, so I want one, it's just a case of money.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Geddy Lee and Kenny G!!

Now that would be my nightmare tour!! Despite his evident musical proficiency, I must say that Geddy's voice is profoundly irritating to me - and I remember hearing Rush in the 80s and being forced to turn it off or run out the room!! Combined with Kenny G,(need I say more?) that would have to be my ultimate, musical "Room 101" !! ;)

Of course - if it was a "solo bass" tour - then it might just about be bearable!

8. Man, I love Geddy's voice!!!

It's so abnoxious its awesome!!!!! :p

Geddy has a sweet voice.

9. Geddy has a girl's voice. I hate it. Let's get back on topic about Steve's video.......

10. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    You're 15! You've got ways to go before you get the ulimate man voice! Grr! Let's get back on topic about Steve's soul patch.

Steve.. Could you do a favor for me? Grow a one sided moustache?.. You know.. Just on one side :p.. Please? :crying:

11. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    >>Michael looks kinda like Kenny G.

Sigh.