1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Steve Irwin on latest South Park - Bad Taste?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Oct 27, 2006.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    A friend from Australia told me about this. Apparently there is a big uproar over this past episode where Steve Irwin shows up to a Halloween part that Satan is throwing, complete with a stringray sticking out of his chest and a blood stain on his shirt.

Here's the clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy2yy3o0c28

What does everyone think? I'm not so sure about it. I think it just proves that Matt and Trey realliy have no boundaries.

2. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Of course. South Park is entirely vulgar and inappropriate in almost every sense. If it appeals to (the figurative) you, fine - no problem. But it is vulgar and inappropriate whenever it can be. That's its appeal.

3. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    What? There was something tasteless and inappropriate on South Park??!!!! :eek:

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Based on what I've gathered from seeing Steve Irwin all the times over the years, he'd probably have laughed at it.

5. The Penguin

The Penguin duplicate account violation Inactive

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic
    I watched the clip, they're not making fun of Steve but the political correctness surrounding his death displayed by Satan.

6. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I've watched it a few more times and I see that now. It just surprised me when I saw. I wasn't sure at first, but I'm not personally offended, it is actually kind of funny and as someone said Steve probably would've laughed at it. But apparently in AUS they're quite bothered by it.

7. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I really don't understand the concept of "it's too early".

What, in 10 years it will suddenly be different? Furthermore, nobody really knows when it's not too early. They just know that it's bad to make a joke about something like that. Nobody knows why, it just is.

Lastly, South Park likes to make fun of people who make a big deal of such things. You all 'been had.

8. I'm sure that Irwin will be a popular costume this year at the grownup Halloween parties. Halloween is basically a silly holiday, so it lends itself well to bad taste in costumes.

9. clavefa

clavefa Te Traigo El Tumbao

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Matt and Trey said it themselves, they cannot start saying, "oh we can't offend the _________ group" otherwise, they would be segregating. If they said, "OH, we can make fun of the Jews, but can't make fun of the blacks" then, that would be anti semetic. Actually, they make fun of white people more than anything. So they need to offend everyone to be non offensive. :D

11. I'd be more surprised if they didn't do it.

12. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1. You beat me to it, Chunk!

That's what made South Park what it is, regardless of how you feel about the show.

13. They must broadcast a different South Park in Chicago because the Southpark I saw on Wednesday was about smug, not Steve Irwin.

14. lbpark

lbpark

Apr 23, 2005
    AL
    I thought it was hilarious. There's nothing they won't touch.

15. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Everything they do is in bad taste. SP is an equal opportunity offender. So I don't care.

16. scott917

scott917

Mar 13, 2005
    Houston, Tx.
    I agree with most all of the above. Everything they do is in bad taste, but at least they are an equal opportunity hater. I like the fact that they leave no stone unturned. If you are going to pick on this one you have to do it to everyone. Fair is only fair.

The content of Southpark should not be a mystery after 10 years on comedy central, don't like it don't watch. I don't like Murder She Wrote, and have never seen the first episode.....

Scott

17. TreeChild

TreeChild

Feb 28, 2005
    Wimberley, TX
    thats just what south park is about. and i respect that.

also, im sure that if some "great" american media star died and very soon after a cartoon in australia made some kind of satire near the subject, you'd have people over here getting all hot and bothered and crap.

18. Bad taste? I saw jokes and videos the day after he died.

I've got a handful of them.

P.S.

The full episode is on allsp.com, just FYI.

19. labgnat

labgnat Inactive

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    they've done things in much worst taste.
    but i've gotta say this was the most unfunny southpark i've ever seen. this is the only episode i've ever seen of southpark that i didn't think was great. i shouldn't think they're on a down slide because of one episode but i do wonder how long they can keep this show funny. surely they'll burn out and or just flat out run out of ideas. but they do so well by using current news so they can keep the show funny and relevant to the present.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021