Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steve Jenkins?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by PaulSimonon, Aug 11, 2005.

1. I was just wondering how many of you guys know of Steve Jenkins?

He's quite the amazing player. I saw him live, and was absolutely blown away by his efficiency, and ability to hold down a groove while an absolutely insane guitarist (David "Fuze" Fiuczynski http://www.torsos.com/ ) and an insane drummer (Sean Rickman) solo over him. He kept everything connected together without playing a bland line. His solo CD is amazing, and the solos he took when I saw him blew me out of the water. The guy is a very nice person too, I got the chance to speak with him after the concert and he was very amiable. Not to mention his music is great! His site has some clips so that you can get a feel for his music, but I really suggest buying the album. Zeta Reticuli is my favorite track from the CD.

http://www.stevejenkinsbass.com/main.html

2. Little G

Little G

Feb 27, 2003
    Hey Paul

Yeah Steve is a great bass player. We did an interview with him on http://www.basstechuk.net

Mad Science is fantastic CD

he also donated the track Merkaba to the Tsunami aid CD 'As One' which you can puirchase on the site too.

3. Thanks man, I'll check that interveiw out!

4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I have been listening o Steve's material on myspace... He plays with Fuze (my favorte guitarist), so I had to hear what he was about....

:eek:

:bassist:

OMG his playing is amazing.... anyone that is into Matt Garrison should definitely check him out.

...bass players like Steve Jenkins make me want to shed more tunes!

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    www.downtownmusic.net has Live-In-Concert pics(at least they used to) of Torsos, 'Fuse', Jenkins, Dean Bowman, Daniel Sadownick, etc.
    I sampled Jenkins' solo disc awhile ago from www.audiophileimports.com
    It went 'on the list'...just haven't gotten around to picking it up yet.

6. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    my wish list from both DTMG and Audiophile has gotten out of control... I think that It would be cheaper to buy a Fodera Garrison 5 than fulfill my CD wish-list, with what I want from both of those establishments.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    J-
    ...another very happenin' place is www.dustygroove.com outta Chicago.
    Great R&B & Chicago-style Avant/Free Jazz recordings(Sun Ra, AEC, Air, Vandermark 5, buncha Brotz, etc)
    One of the few places I have seen Dennis Coffey LPs for sale(at a premium price).

8. Dennis Coffey!!! Yes!
    I saw Steve play with Fuze in New York back in January. I thought he had a strong Victor influence happening (double thumping). He is very good but I prefer Fima Ephron or Tony Grey with Fuze.

9. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I'm really diggin Steve's contribution to SHT tunes (and his own work), but I have to say that Fima is still favorite, with Tony coming up as a close second.

When "KiF!" was here in ATL, Tony was playing with him... he sounded fantastic! He had two Fodera Garrison's with him... one tuned to B-G and the other E-C... :bag:

10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    At that point, why not just get a 6er? Than again, two Foderas is better than one!!!! :D

11. He told me his hands are too small to play a 6.

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hmmm....says on his website he was having a Fodera 6 string fretless made for him.

13. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    When I saw the Hiromi trio here in London a couple of months ago, Tony had a Matt Garrison 5 (E-C) and a Monarch fretless 6, which he didn't touch at all.

I missed the opportunity to see Fuze last week, as part of trumpter Cuong Vu's quartet. Am kicking myself.

14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Now THAT would've been incredible!!!! I'm a really big fan of Cuong Vu's music and Fuze is the shiznit. I bet that would be a great pairing, especially since the great Stomu Takeishi was on bass!!!! :hyper: :bassist:

15. Well, he must have changed his tune because I saw him with Hiromi in May. A bunch of us bass players talked to him afterward and the question was brought up. Oh well, a great philosopher once said:"You never f***ing know."

16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Harmolodic, it looks as if he did get one after all.

17. That's what I'm saying. He told us one thing back in May and then got a 6-string anyway. Whatever. Hey this thread is about Steve Jenkins!

18. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    yup, I'm going to pick up mad science this evening.

19. lowendtheory18

lowendtheory18

Nov 29, 2005
    Ok, this is just my opinion, and I certainly don't think music is a contest....

Of course Fima is paramount...He and Fuze have lots of history together...

..I heard Tony Grey with Fuze (doing the KiF stuff) a while back in the Boston area. Then I checked them out with Jenkins. To be honest,,,I really think Steve does more with Fuze's music. (Escpecially when he got that Lakland and left that Modulus at home) Tony is a bad mofo (love his playing)...no need to argue that. And they both have ridiculous chops...

I like Steve's pocket better. You can tell he is fluent in all kinds of stuff from funk, jazz, drum and bass, and the fusion stuff. He's the perfect foil for Fuze. He has all the melodic linear concepts but can lay it down like a straight-pocket player.

Also, did you know that he is the new bass player for the Torsos? Fima moved to the U.K. They are going to be touring quite a bit in 2006.

20. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    didn't know that Fima moved to the UK... Great player, love his work with Hasidic NewWave and Lost Tribe... Him and Fuze work very well together.